Hospitality Schools in Arkansas with Degree Program Information

Jul 31, 2019

Research hospitality programs in Arkansas, which currently has nine colleges and universities offering programs. Read an overview of degree programs, tuition info and program options for seven of these schools and decide which program is right for you.

Essential Information

Degree programs in hospitality prepare students for careers in fields related to food service, hotel and resort management, tourism, recreation, events, and entertainment. Throughout the state of Arkansas, a collection of public colleges and universities offers associate's degree and undergraduate certificate programs in hospitality; one school also offers a bachelor's degree in hospitality administration. Additionally, programs are available in specialized hospitality fields, such as culinary arts or baking and pastry arts. Profiles of seven colleges and universities offering hospitality programs in Arkansas are given below, along with tuition information.

Arkansas State University - Beebe

Arkansas State University - Beebe provides a 60-credit-hour associate's degree program and a 35-credit-hour technical certificate program in hospitality administration. The associate's degree program introduces students to management principles and career opportunities within hospitality. Students participate in a hospitality administration internship and take coursework in dining room service management, food preparation, sanitation, and lodging; some courses may only be available on ASU's Heber Springs campus. In addition, the university requires students to enroll in general education core courses for both the certificate and the associate's degree. Arkansas State University also offers these hospitality programs online.

Arkansas Tech University

Located in Russellville, Arkansas Tech University (ATU) enrolls more than 10,000 students annually. The bachelor's degree program in hospitality administration at this school emphasizes general business, computer science, and marketing subjects along with industry-specific skills. Within the hospitality administration degree, students choose to concentrate in food and beverage management, lodging and club management, or tourism and event management. A 6-credit internship is required after all coursework is completed. ATU also offers a minor in hospitality administration and an associate's degree in culinary management. The Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration accredits the hospitality administration program.

East Arkansas Community College

Forrest City's East Arkansas Community College provides Certificates of Proficiency in hospitality and in lodging. The certificate program requires four courses for 12 credits and can be completed by taking two courses per term for two terms. A hospitality or lodging management concentration is also an option within the Associate of Applied Science in Management program. The curriculum includes 21 credit hours for foundational courses in hospitality, tourism, and travel, along with classes on international travel and operations.

National Park Community College

Hot Springs-based National Park Community College offers an associate's degree program, technical certificate program, and certificate of proficiency program in hospitality and tourism administration. Students enrolled in the associate's degree program must fulfill 60 credits in hospitality administration coursework, including an internship, 15 credits of elective coursework, and 15 credits of liberal arts core curriculum. The certificate of proficiency requires 18 credits, while the Technical Certificate calls for 30 credit hours. National Park Community College has a minimum ACT test score requirement for admission into hospitality administration certificate programs, and students must either meet test score requirements or complete appropriate foundational coursework in reading, mathematics, and writing.

NorthWest Arkansas Community College

NorthWest Arkansas Community College is located in Bentonville in the far corner of the state. The college provides a Certificate of Proficiency in Hospitality Management and a Technical Certificate in Hospitality Management, as well as an associate's degree in culinary arts with a hospitality management concentration. The 18-hour certificate in hospitality management includes courses in management, nutrition, purchasing, operations, marketing ,and travel and tourism; an internship is also required. The technical certificate requires 36 hours of study, while the associate's degree with a hospitality management concentration is a 60-hour program.

Pulaski Technical College

Pulaski Technical College is located in North Little Rock, and the school offers multiple associate's degree and technical certificate programs. Associate's degree options at Pulaski include hospitality management, culinary arts, and baking and pastry arts. Courses for the hospitality management degree cover restaurants and dining room operations as well as tourism, hospitality marketing, and lodging operations. Students may also take courses in baking and wine studies in pursuit of technical certificates in those fields. Associate's degree programs require students to complete a liberal arts general education curriculum in addition to core requirements for the major. Students attending the technical certificate programs will be required to complete English composition, business mathematics, and college algebra as well as certificate program curriculum.

University of Arkansas - Monticello

The University of Arkansas - Monticello offers two certificates in hospitality: the 35-credit-hour Technical Certificate in Hospitality Services and the 18-credit-hour Certificate of Proficiency in Hospitality Skills. Both programs require coursework in business English and computer fundamentals, as well as core hospitality courses in sanitation, customer service, and culinary fundamentals. Additionally, the technical certificate program includes an internship as well as business, mathematics, baking, and culinary courses. Students obtaining the technical certificate may apply courses completed during the program towards an Associate of Applied Science in General Technology.

School Comparison: At a Glance

School Name School Type & Setting Hospitality Management Degree Programs & Certificates Offered Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2018-2019)
Arkansas State University - Beebe 2-year, public; fringe town Technical Certificate in Hospitality Administration,
Associate of Applied Science in Hospitality Administration
$2,880 in-state; $4,608 out-of-state*
Arkansas Tech University 4-year, public; remote town Associate of Applied Science in Culinary Management,
Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Administration
$7,254 in-state; $12,678 out-of-state*
East Arkansas Community College 2-year, public; distant town Certificate of Proficiency in Hospitality or Lodging,
AAS in Management - Hospitality or Lodging Management Concentration
$2,880 in-district; $3,180 in-state; $3,720 out-of-state*
National Park Community College 2-year, public; small suburb Certificate of Proficiency in Hospitality Administration
Technical Certificate in Hospitality and Tourism Administration
Associate of Applied Science in Hospitality and Tourism Administration
$3,750 in-district; $4,100 in-state; $5,300 out-of-state*
NorthWest Arkansas Community College 2-year, public; small city Certificate of Proficiency in Hospitality Management,
Technical Certificate in Hospitality Management,
Associate of Applied Science in Culinary Arts - Hospitality Management
$3,238 in-district; $4,663 in-state; $4,738 out-of-state*
Pulaski Technical College 2-year, public; small city Technical Certificate in Culinary Arts,
Technical Certificate in Baking and Pastry,
Technical Certificate in Wine and Spirits Studies,
Associate of Applied Science in Hospitality Management,
Associate of Applied Science in Culinary Arts,
Associate of Applied Science in Baking and Pastry Arts
$5,252 in-state; $6,447 out-of-state*
University of Arkansas - Monticello 4-year, primarily associate's; public; remote town Certificate of Proficiency in Hospitality Skills,
Technical Certificate in Hospitality Services
$7,462 in-state; $13,312 out-of-state*

Source: *NCES College Navigator.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?