There are many postsecondary training options near Huntersville, though more than half of them are either highly specialized or operate on a private for-profit basis. We turn our attention solely to the more traditional colleges and universities in the area, and compare and contrast these postsecondary institutions using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Huntersville, North Carolina
Some students may wish to attend school close to home or a place of work. The closest schools to Huntersville are primarily 4-year institutions, followed by less than 2-year schools. The majority of the closest schools are also private.
- Davidson College (5.9 miles from downtown)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte (8.6 miles from downtown)
- Johnson C Smith University (9 miles from downtown)
- Johnson & Wales University-Charlotte (13.1 miles from downtown)
- Central Piedmont Community College (14.1 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Huntersville, North Carolina
There are several schools in the Huntersville area that have more than 1,000 students. For students interested in attending these larger institutions, there are a few that also offer graduate degree programs in addition to undergraduate programs.
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte (27,983 students)
- Central Piedmont Community College (19,394 students)
- Gaston College (5,582 students)
- Queens University of Charlotte (2,286 students)
- Johnson & Wales University-Charlotte (2,218 students)
Lowest Net Price
To figure out a school's net price, the NCES takes the annual cost of in-state tuition, fees, room, board and other supplies and subtracts the average amount of financial aid received by full-time undergraduate students. In 2014-2015, almost half of the schools near Huntersville had net prices of $20,000 or more, according to the NCES.
- Central Piedmont Community College ($6,892)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte ($8,761)
- Gaston College ($10,841)
- Johnson C Smith University ($18,953)
- Davidson College ($22,865)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES also calculates graduation rates, which are based on the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who finished their programs within 150% of the standard time allotted for program completion (six years for a bachelor's degree, for example). Several schools in the Huntersville area reported overall graduation rates above or near 50% for 2015.
- Davidson College (93% graduation rate)
- Johnson & Wales University-Charlotte (58% graduation rate)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte (53% graduation rate)
- Queens University of Charlotte (53% graduation rate)
- Johnson C Smith University (46% graduation rate)
The Huntersville, NC, area is home to many private and public schools that give students a choice in school location, student population size, net price, and graduation rates.