Since there are no traditional schools in the city of Hyannis, and there aren't many postsecondary options nearby, aspiring college students who live in the city may need to commute or re-locate to attend a school that meets their needs. Here you can find data taken from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) detailing which schools are the closest, the largest, the lowest cost and yield the highest graduation rates for the general Hyannis area.
Closest School to Hyannis, Massachusetts
Within 50 miles of Hyannis, students can find specialized technology institutes, schools dedicated to healthcare education, community colleges and 4-year schools. This article focuses on those public or private options within 50 miles that may appeal to traditional students. Students who are seeking schools closer to Hyannis can find some options here:
- Cape Cod Community College (4.7 miles)
- University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth (35.8 miles)
- Bridgewater State University (41.9 miles)
- Bristol Community College (43.8 miles)
- Stonehill College (49.2 miles)
Largest Schools Near Hyannis, Massachusetts
Three 2-year schools and two 4-year schools top the list for largest student population in the Hyannis area. These schools may offer more program variety and scheduling options than their smaller school counterparts. The range in student population for these schools is from around 11,200 down to about 3,800.
- Bridgewater State University (11,187)
- Bristol Community College (9,189)
- University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth (9,111)
- Massasoit Community College (7,905)
- Cape Cod Community College (3,818)
Lowest Net Price
Low cost of attendance is an attractive quality to many students seeking the right college or university. The NCES calculates the net price of a school by analyzing the difference between the total cost of tuition, books and supplies and the average amount of financial aid a full-time undergraduate student receives. According to the NCES, the following schools had the lowest net cost of schools within 50 miles of Hyannis for full-time undergraduate students. It is not surprising that three community colleges top the list for lowest net price during the 2014-15 school year.
- Bristol Community College ($6,306)
- Massasoit Community College ($7,663)
- Cape Cod Community College ($8,485)
- Bridgewater State University ($15,313)
- University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth ($15,489)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES also measures an institution's graduation rate. In order to do this, the NCES takes a look at the number of full-time undergraduate students who complete their studies within 150% of 'normal time'. In other words, if a bachelor's degree program normally takes four years to complete, the overall graduation rate expresses the percentage of students who graduated within six years' time. The following schools within 50 miles of Hyannis had graduation rates of at least 20% in 2016.
- Stonehill College (87%)
- Bridgewater State University (58%)
- University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth (46%)
- Bristol Community College (21%)
- Cape Cod Community College (20%)
There are only a handful of options in the Hyannis, Massachusetts region for traditional studies including several community colleges and 4-year institutions with only one private school, Stonehill College.