Whether you prefer a bustling city or a suburban environment, students in search of receiving their education around Independence, Missouri, have a number of schools to choose from. Prospective students can examine the traditional institutions in the area with statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Independence, Missouri
The closest schools to Independence are mostly 4-year institutions. Some of the 4-year schools offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Graceland University - Independence (located downtown)
- National American University-Independence (3.3 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Kansas City (6.4 miles from downtown)
- Vatterott College-Kansas City (8.5 miles from downtown)
- William Jewell College (10.1 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Independence, Missouri
Most of the largest schools near Independence are private institutions, although the two largest schools are public. The area offers eight schools with more than 1,000 students.
- Metropolitan Community College-Kansas City (17,821 students)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (16,685 students)
- Park University (11,720 students)
- Rockhurst University (2,825 students)
- Avila University (1,885 students)
Lowest Net Price
Cost is an important consideration to keep in mind when selecting which institution to enroll in. The NCES calculates net price by subtracting the average amount of financial aid a full-time undergrad receives from the total cost of attendance. Net prices in the Independence area for 2014-2015 ranged from about $7,000 to $31,000.
- Metropolitan Community College-Kansas City ($7,347)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City ($14,197)
- Park University ($15,510)
- Vatterott College-Kansas City ($18,418)
- National American University-Independence ($18,971)
Highest Graduation Rate
While not fully representative of a student's academic success, graduation rates are a good indication of the quality of education available at an institution. The NCES determines this percentage by totaling the number of full-time undergraduate students who receive a degree within 150% of 'normal' time of enrolling. All traditional schools in the area had rates below 75% for 2015.
- Rockhurst University (71% graduation rate)
- National American University-Zona Rosa (67% graduation rate)
- William Jewell College (62% graduation rate)
- Avila University (55% graduation rate)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (50% graduation rate)
There are many 2-year and 4-year institutions to choose from near Independence, MO, that offer a diverse array of graduation rates, net prices, sizes, and locations.