When selecting an international studies graduate school, students have many options to choose from. Many schools offer master's degrees, while some also offer doctoral programs.
Top 10 International Politics Graduate Schools
This table outlines the types of degrees available at schools offering graduate programs in international studies, as well as recent tuition costs.
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Graduate Degrees Offered*||Tuition (2015-16)**|
|Harvard University||Cambridge, MA||Private 4-year||Master's||$41,832|
|Stanford University||Stanford, CA||Private 4-year||Master's||$45,729|
|Princeton University||Princeton, NJ||Private 4-year||Master's||$43,450|
|Columbia University||New York, NY||Private 4-year||Master's||$42,280|
|University of California - San Diego||La Jolla, CA||Public 4-year||Master's, Doctoral||$11,220 (In-State)|
|University of Michigan - Ann Arbor||Ann Arbor, MI||Public 4-year||Master's, Doctoral||$20,638 (In-State)|
|New York University||New York, NY||Private 4-year||Master's||$38,592|
|Ohio State University||Columbus, OH||Public 4-year||Master's||$11,560 (In-State)|
|Yale University||New Haven, CT||Private 4-year||Master's||$38,700|
|University of Wisconsin - Madison||Madison, WI||Public 4-year||Master's||$10,728 (In-State)|
Source: *School website, **National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Criminology and Criminalistics - General
- Global Studies
- Multidisciplinary or Interdisciplinary Studies, Other
- Peace Studies
- Physical Anthropology
- Population Studies
- Science, Technology, and Society, General
- Sociology, General
- Systems Science and Theory
- Urban Studies
- Work and Family Studies
School Selection Criteria
At some schools, international studies may also be known as global studies or international politics. Further considerations for students in this field include the following:
- Students should weigh their program options. Most international studies graduate schools provide one (or more) of three program options, which may include offering international studies as a degree concentration in a business administration graduate degree program, as a degree concentration coupled with a law degree, or by itself as a master's degree.
- Consider schools that have part-time, full-time, and online attendance options.
- Programs should provide experience in international field research.
- Research schools should be affiliated with global companies and professional organizations.
Students may take courses that are deeply rooted in political science, history, and economics, exploring topics such as international finance, foreign policy and globalization. Some schools also allow students to complete courses abroad in international territory while participating in required field research. The amount of time it takes to obtain a degree in this field varies depending on whether or not it was obtained in conjunction with degrees in other fields such as law or business.
International studies, sometimes also known as global studies or international policies, can be studied at the master's and doctoral levels, depending on the institution. Courses typically include foreign policy, economics, and international finance.