Students who want to attend college in Kalamazoo, MI, have the option of enrolling in several types of institutions, including community colleges, private nonprofit schools, or a public university. This article compares and ranks several of these schools by drawing on data from the National Center for Education Statistics, including distance from the city, school size, lowest net price, and highest graduation rate.
Closest Schools to Kalamazoo, Michigan
Students who want to attend college in Kalamazoo, MI, have the option of enrolling in several types of institutions, including community colleges, private nonprofit schools, or a public university right in or near the city. If you are considering location as a critical part of your decision, the following schools are all less than 13 miles from the Kalamazoo city center.
- Western Michigan University (3.4 miles from downtown)
- Davenport University - Kalamazoo Location (4.1 miles from downtown)
- Kalamazoo College (4.1 miles from downtown)
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College (7.3 miles from downtown)
- Michigan Career and Technical Institute (12.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Kalamazoo, Michigan
The largest school in the Kalamazoo area is Western Michigan University, a public 4-year university with 23,529 students enrolled during the 2014-2015 school year. 18,567 of these were undergraduates. Other large schools in the area include:
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College (8,836 students)
- Kellogg Community College (5,081 students)
- Kalamazoo College (1,443 students)
- Glen Oaks Community College (1,134 students)
- Michigan Career and Technical Institute (222 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Schools With the Lowest Net Price
Program variety typically is just one factor students consider when choosing a school. Price is another. NCES reported the net price for Kalamazoo colleges from 2014-2015. The net price in the area ranged from $4,000-$26,000 for full-time undergraduates and was determined by taking the cost of attendance and subtracting any aid offered by the institution or government. The schools with the lowest net prices for full-time undergraduates in Kalamazoo are discussed below.
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College ($3,965)
- Kellogg Community College ($5,856)
- Glen Oaks Community College ($6,010)
- Michigan Career and Technical Institute ($10,781)
- Western Michigan University ($15,358)
Highest Graduation Rates
NCES reported the graduation rates for students as of 2015. The reported figures represent the overall graduation rates of full-time students who graduated in 150% of the 'normal time' it takes to complete a program. The graduation rates in the Kalamazoo area ranged from 10%-85%. Profiled below are the schools with the highest graduation rates.
- Michigan Career and Technical Institute (85%)
- Kalamazoo College (83%)
- Western Michigan University (54%)
- Glen Oaks Community College (28%)
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College (12%)
When selecting a college in the Kalamazoo, Michigan area, students can compare proximity, size, cost of attendance, and graduation rates in making their final decision.