There are quite a few schools in Kansas City itself, and the options get even broader when a 25-mile radius around the city is brought into the equation. We've compiled the nearby public and private not-for-profit traditional schools into four categories based on data from the National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Kansas City, MO
The closest schools to Kansas City are mostly located in and around the city. These are a mixture of public and private non-profit institutions. Students will have the opportunity to attend school close by, with options for pursuing both undergraduate and graduate degrees.
- Rockhurst University (downtown Kansas City)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (downtown Kansas City)
- Metropolitan Community College-Kansas City (1.8 miles from downtown)
- Kansas Christian College (6.5 miles away in Overland Park)
- Ottawa University-Kansas (8.4 miles away in Overland Park)
Largest Schools Near Kansas City, MO
The largest schools near Kansas City had more than 10,000 students as of fall 2015. The largest institutions in the area were 2-year community colleges and 4-year public schools.
- Johnson County Community College (19,091 students)
- Metropolitan Community College-Kansas City (17,821 students)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (16,685 students)
- Park University (11,720 students)
- Kansas City Kansas Community College (5,625 students)
Lowest Net Price
Cost may be a deciding factor for many prospective students. These 2014-2015 net prices from the NCES show the average cost of attendance, which is calculated by subtracting the average amount of financial aid from the total expenses (including tuition and fees plus room and board). The following schools had the lowest net prices of public and private non-profit schools in the area for full-time undergraduates.
- Kansas Christian College ($6,660)
- Johnson County Community College ($7,037)
- Metropolitan Community College-Kansas City ($7,347)
- Kansas City Kansas Community College ($12,579)
- Wright Career College ($12,981)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates indicate a school's success because they show what percentage of full-time undergraduate students graduated within 150% of 'normal time' (e.g., six years for a four-year degree). The following schools had the highest overall graduation rates among public and private non-profit schools in the Kansas City, MO, area.
- Rockhurst University (71% graduation rate)
- Wright Career College (70% graduation rate)
- William Jewell College (62% graduation rate)
- MidAmerica Nazarene University (55% graduation rate)
- Avila University (55% graduation rate)
The schools in and around Kansas City, Missouri, have been broken down into four separate categories, from the lowest costs to the highest grad rates, to help you choose one that works for you.