Since Kirksville offers postsecondary education options that include a 4-year public university, a community college and a technical school, students do not have to look far beyond the city's limits to find a variety of programs and opportunities. However if these programs are still not right for you you can travel less than 75 miles to get to a number of other private not-for-profit or public institutions. Here, we use data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to compare them by the following criteria:
Closest Schools to Kirksville, Missouri
If you live in a rural area, trying to find a college or university near your home can be a bit difficult. Luckily for students in Kirksville, MO, if you don't mind a little traveling you have a few options within 75 miles of town. Here are the five closest public and not-for-profit private colleges and universities.
- Truman State University (In Kirksville, MO)
- Moberly Area Community College (54.3 miles from downtown)
- North Central Missouri College (55.0 miles from downtown)
- Culver-Stockton College (55.8 miles from downtown)
- Hannibal-LaGrange University (72.1 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools near Kirksville, Missouri
Larger schools usually provide more opportunities for networking, meeting new people, and extracurricular activities that may help you get a job after school. Here are the five largest schools near Kirksville, MO, by student populations according to 2015 NCES reports.
- Truman State University (6,208 enrolled students)
- Moberly Area Community College (4,863 enrolled students)
- North Central Missouri College (1,708 enrolled students)
- Hannibal-LaGrange University (1,167 enrolled students)
- Culver-Stockton College (1,066 enrolled students)
Lowest Net Price
NCES computes the net price of attending a given institution as a full time undergraduate student by totaling the cost of tuition, books, supplies and living arrangements at the college and then subtracting from that the average amount of financial aid a student received at that school. The following statistics are for the 2014-15 school year.
- Moberly Area Community College ($7,707)
- North Central Missouri College ($8,622)
- Truman State University ($12,223)
- Hannibal-LaGrange University ($18,367)
- Culver-Stockton College ($19,188)
Highest Graduation Rate
A high graduation rate can indicate that a college is doing a good job meeting and/or exceeding its students' expectations. NCES calculates its version of the graduation rate statistic through finding the percentage of students who complete their degree program at a school within 150% of 'normal time' (i.e., within six years at a four-year school, three years at a two-year school, etc.). Here's how the Kirksville-area schools compare in this category, as of 2015.
- Truman State University (73% graduation rate)
- Culver-Stockton College (52% graduation rate)
- Hannibal-LaGrange University (48% graduation rate)
- North Central Missouri College (37% graduation rate)
- Moberly Area Community College (27% graduation rate)
Use this information to make informed decisions regarding where you want to go to college based on the schools' proximity to Kirksville, MO, student population, net prices and graduation rates.