Those intending to study near Laie, Hawaii, have multiple schools to choose from, including several community colleges and large universities. To help students decide which school is a good fit for their educational needs, data were obtained from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) concerning proximity, student populations, net prices, and graduation rates.
Closest Schools to Laie, Hawaii
Although the farthest schools from Laie are located within about 24 miles, there is one university which is situated within the city itself. If you are planning to pursue your studies near the city, you can consider the following institutions that all offer undergraduate programs.
- Brigham Young University-Hawaii (within the city)
- Leeward Community College (16.7 miles)
- Honolulu Community College (22.3 miles)
- Hawaii Pacific University (23.6 miles)
- University of Hawaii at Manoa (24.1 miles)
Largest Schools Near Laie, Hawaii
The University of Hawaii at Manoa, a 4-year public university, had the largest student population near Laie, Hawaii. In Fall 2014, it enrolled a total of 18,865 students, majority of whom were undergraduates, who numbered 13,689. Other schools in the area with large student populations are composed of both public and private not-for-profit universities and colleges.
- Leeward Community College (7,535 students; all undergraduates)
- Hawaii Pacific University (4,781 students; 3,993 undergraduates)
- Honolulu Community College (4,328 students; all undergraduates)
- Brigham Young University-Hawaii (2,718 students; all undergraduates)
- University of Hawaii-West Oahu (2,692 students; all undergraduates)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES computes the net prices of schools by taking into account the average cost of attendance, including tuition and fees, textbooks and other educational supplies, and subtracting it from the average financial aid package received by a full-time undergraduate student. During the 2014-2015 academic year, the net prices of non-specialty schools in Laie, Hawaii, ranged from about $2,000 to more than $23,000.
- Leeward Community College ($2,182)
- Honolulu Community College ($5,491)
- University of Hawaii-West Oahu ($7,642)
- Brigham Young University-Hawaii ($10,695)
- University of Hawaii at Manoa ($12,721)
Highest Graduation Rates
The number of students who successfully complete their programs can be an indication of the quality of education available at a college or university. The NCES also computes the graduation rate of schools, which is the percentage of full-time, undergraduate students who complete a program within 150% of 'normal' time, for example, three years for an associate degree. In 2015, the schools with the highest graduation rates in the Laie area were:
- University of Hawaii at Manoa (57%)
- Brigham Young University-Hawaii (50%)
- Hawaii Pacific University (49%)
- University of Hawaii-West Oahu (29%)
- University of Phoenix-Hawaii (23%)
Several school options are available for you in Laie, Hawaii, and the different information you learned from the NCES can be useful when comparing your choices.