Lake Mary may have a limited number of schools, but its close proximity to Orlando affords prospective students many nearby options. The schools in Lake Mary, Orlando and other towns in a 25-mile radius include four-year private institutions, four-year public universities and two-year technical colleges. This article focuses on several of these schools and how they rank in these four categories, according to data from the National Center for Education Statistics.
Closest Schools to Lake Mary, Florida
Students of the Lake Mary area have a lot of options when it comes to secondary education institutions. With 20 schools located in a 25-mile radius, here are the closest five traditional options.
- Remington College-Heathrow Campus (in Lake Mary)
- Seminole State College of Florida (4.1 miles from downtown)
- City College-Altamonte Springs (7.4 miles from downtown)
- Everglades University-Orlando (8.8 miles from downtown)
- Everest University-North Orlando (10.4 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Lake Mary, Florida
Larger schools are an attractive option for many students, since they tend to offer more academic program options along with more extracurricular activities and clubs. With this in mind, here are the five largest schools in the Lake Mary area, according to NCES 2015 records.
- University of Central Florida (62,953 enrolled students)
- Valencia College (44,050 enrolled students)
- Seminole State College of Florida (17,741 enrolled students)
- Everest University-South Orlando (9,057 enrolled students)
- Stetson University (4,330 enrolled students)
Schools with the Lowest Net Price
The average net prices calculated by the NCES can help students compare the affordability of Lake Mary-area colleges and universities. These figures are found by taking the total cost of attendance for first-time, full-time undergraduate students and subtracting the cost of scholarship or grant aid. The nonprofit, traditional postsecondary schools near Lake Mary had 2014-2015 net prices between $6,000 and $34,000, according to the NCES. Bellow are the five most affordable schools.
- Valencia College ($6,166)
- Lake Technical College ($7,543)
- Seminole State College of Florida ($8,085)
- Orange Technical College-Mid Florida Campus ($10,659)
- University of Central Florida ($14,366)
Schools with the Highest Graduation Rates
One way to measure the student success rate at a particular school is to check the overall graduation rates reported by the NCES. These rates are found by calculating how many first-time, full-time students complete their degree or certificate programs within 150% of 'normal' completion time (e.g., 3 years for an associate's program or 6 years for a bachelor's program). These are the top five Lake Mary area schools according to NCES graduation rate data collected in 2015.
- Lake Technical College (74% graduation rate)
- Rollins College (71% graduation rate)
- University of Central Florida (70% graduation rate)
- Orange Technical College-Winter Park Campus (68% graduation rate)
- Stetson University (64% graduation rate)
If you are wanting to apply to postsecondary programs near Lake Mary, Florida, use this article to help you make an informed decision based on the schools' locations, sizes, costs and graduation rates.