Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Creative Writing, General
Online Courses in Copywriting
Below are some common copywriting courses that can be completed from the comfort of your home.
- Copywriting: This introductory course trains individuals to write compelling ads that quickly capture the attention of an audience. Students utilize creative and technical writing techniques to create focused headlines and taglines. Students are also introduced to current cultural trends and advertising media.
- Internet Copywriting: Those working in advertising and broadcasting fields often need to create strategic Web copy that entices customers and drives business. Online courses in website copywriting train learners to create stimulating keyword rich copy to maximize search positions, visitors and most importantly, customers.
- Broadcast Copywriting: Broadcast copywriting courses teach students to develop persuasive writing skills for electronic media including news, promotional announcements and commercials in radio and television. Specific attention is placed on maintaining continuity between programs and producing copy that is meant to be read aloud, rather than simply put down on paper.
- Advanced Copywriting Techniques: This course discusses ad campaigns and branding. Focused attention is placed on creating unique copy, the use of emotion and the creation of a strategic tone. This course also discusses creative concepts and word integration. Virtual demonstrations in current advertising trends are also provided.
- Promotional Writing Course: The scope of promotional writing ranges from microblog messages to vast corporate marketing campaigns. In this course, students learn to focus their writing on a marketing message. They also learn to target that message to a specific audience. An English composition class may be prerequisite.
- Grammar Lab: Students can engage in online assessments, which are scored electronically, to build and develop grammar skills. Topics include punctuation, verb tenses, and parts of speech.
- Editing as a Business: This course includes live chats and online discussions to help students learn about what it takes to launch your own business as a copy editor. You'll be covering ways of marketing your services, how to deal with clients and contracts, and setting fees. The course offers students a chance to network with other copy editors.
Online copywriting courses are generally available via certificate, bachelor's degree and master's degree programs in the fields of marketing, advertising or media. They are often found through schools of art and design. Though less widespread, individual online courses may also be available at universities or college extension campuses; prerequisites may apply in some cases.
You can earn college credit through online coursework in copywriting via certificate programs. Undergraduate and graduate degrees are also available in online learning formats.