Students interested in studying in or near Lexington, Kentucky, may find it helpful to gain insight about the schools in the area by comparing some data provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). The schools include 2- and 4-year, public and private colleges and universities.
Closest Schools to Lexington, Kentucky
The five closest schools to Lexington are primarily 4-year schools, though one is a 2-year college; most of these schools are private institutions. Students wishing to live in the area or desiring a short commute may want to look into these five schools:
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College (2.7 miles from downtown)
- University of Kentucky (2.7 miles from downtown)
- American National University-Lexington (3.4 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Lexington (3.4 miles from downtown)
- Transylvania University (4 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Lexington, Kentucky
For students interested in attending a larger institution, Lexington offers three schools with more than 10,000 students. All but one of the following five schools provide both graduate and undergraduate degree programs:
- University of Kentucky (29,203 students)
- Eastern Kentucky University (16,305 students)
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College (10,952 students)
- Asbury University (1,879 students)
- Georgetown College (1,262 students)
Lowest Net Price
The net price of a school can be calculated by subtracting the average amount of school and governmental financial aid full-time undergrad students receive from the total cost of attendance. According to the NCES, all schools around Lexington had average net prices under $24,000 for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College ($7,212)
- Eastern Kentucky University ($12,492)
- University of Kentucky ($16,673)
- American National University-Lexington ($18,130)
- Georgetown College ($20,060)
Highest Graduation Rate
A school's overall graduation rate is defined by the NCES as the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who complete their degree programs within 150% of the time it normally takes (for example, completing a 4-year bachelor's program within 6 years). Most schools in the Lexington region had graduation rates that were below 60% in 2015.
- Transylvania University (73% graduation rate)
- University of Kentucky (63% graduation rate)
- Asbury University (63% graduation rate)
- Georgetown College (57% graduation rate)
- Midway University (56% graduation rate)
For students interested in attending a 2-year or 4-year school that meets a certain location, size, price, or graduation rate preference, the Lexington, KY, area provides several viable options.