Although there is only one university in Lowell, there are four-year institutions, two-year community colleges, and more within a 20-mile radius of the city. Choosing the right college or university can be a challenge, so this article seeks to help aspiring students by comparing some of the area colleges and universities using information from the National Center for Education Statistics that could impact their school choices.
Closest Schools to Lowell, MA
The average distance you would have to travel outside of Lowell, MA, in order to attend a traditional university or college is roughly 11 miles, with the shortest distance outside of the city being 10 miles and the furthest being almost 19 miles.
- University of Massachusetts-Lowell (Lowell, MA)
- Merrimack College (10.3 miles)
- Middlesex Community College (11.4 miles)
- Northern Essex Community College (14.2 miles)
- Bentley University (18.6 miles)
Largest Schools Near Lowell, MA
If a large student population is concern or priority of yours in determining a school to attend in or near Lowell, MA, you will have the option of either large or medium-sized schools. The majority of the schools with the largest student bodies are public institutions.
- University of Massachusetts-Lowell (17,179 students)
- Tufts University (10,907 students)
- Middlesex Community College (9,205 students)
- North Shore Community College (7,412 students)
- Northern Essex Community College (6,963 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Cost
The lowest net cost is determined by subtracting any aid offered by the government or institution from the cost of attendance. The NCES reports the net cost for each school in the Lowell area from 2014-2015 for full-time undergraduate students. The schools with the three lowest net cost in the area ranged from about $3,000-$11,000.
- Middlesex Community College ($4,384)
- North Shore Community College ($7,523)
- Northern Essex Community College ($8,440)
- University of Massachusetts ($17,035)
- Regis College ($26,560)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES reported the graduation rates for schools in the Lowell area for full-time undergraduate students who enrolled in a 4-year school in Fall 2009. Students reflected in these rates earned a bachelor's degree in six years or less.
- Tufts University (93%)
- Bentley University (89%)
- Brandeis University (86%)
- Merrimack College (71%)
- University of Massachusetts-Lowell (56%)
In closing, you will have to do some traveling outside of Lowell, MA, if you choose not to attend the University of Massachusetts, but there are plenty of schools within a 20-mile radius that have high graduation rates, low net costs, and medium-to-large student populations.