Prospective students in the Lynchburg, VA, area have a few options to pick from when choosing a post-secondary school. To help students better understand their choices, we compare the traditional institutions in the area from data provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Lynchburg, Virginia
Some students may desire to attend school near home or a place of work, while others may wish to attend school further away. For students wanting to stay close to Lynchburg, there are mostly private schools to choose from. These schools include:
- Lynchburg College (located downtown)
- Virginia University of Lynchburg (located downtown)
- Randolph College (3 miles from downtown)
- Central Virginia Community College (3.7 miles from downtown)
- Miller-Motte Technical College - Lynchburg (3.7 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Lynchburg, Virginia
Students wanting to attend a larger school have mostly 4-year institutions to choose from in the Lynchburg area. The majority of schools in the area have student populations ranging from fewer than 100 students to less than 5,000 students, though there is one larger school with over 80,000 students. The largest schools are:
- Liberty University (80,494 students)
- Central Virginia Community College (4,433 students)
- Lynchburg College (2,794 students)
- Randolph College (688 students)
- Virginia University of Lynchburg (402 students)
Lowest Net Price
Price is an important consideration when choosing a college. Lynchburg schools vary in cost, with two-year schools most often costing less than four-year universities for 2014-2015. A school's average net price, as reported by the NCES, is derived by subtracting the average amount of financial aid from the total cost of attendance for a full-time beginning undergraduate student.
- Central Virginia Community College ($6,482)
- Virginia University of Lynchburg ($13,949)
- Miller-Motte Technical College - Lynchburg ($16,627)
- Lynchburg College ($21,997)
- Randolph College ($22,277)
Highest Graduation Rate
Overall graduation rates at Lynchburg area colleges vary, but most schools post a rate of 40% or greater for 2015. The overall graduation rate is the percentage of full-time undergrad students who graduate within 150% of the 'normal' time it takes to complete a program (six years, for example, for a bachelor's degree).
- Randolph College (69% graduation rate)
- Sweet Briar College (64% graduation rate)
- Lynchburg College (56% graduation rate)
- Liberty University (47% graduation rate)
- Miller-Motte Technical College-Lynchburg (40% graduation rate)
Even with just a handful of traditional schools, the Lynchburg, VA, area is home to a diverse group of 2-year and 4-year schools that vary in graduation rates, price, size, and location.