The Macon, Georgia, area is home to a number of post-secondary institutions which offer programs ranging from one and two-year certificates to master's and doctoral degrees. In order to help prospective students make an informed choice, we will look at some statistics gathered by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) concerning school distances, student populations, net prices, and graduation rates.
Closest Schools to Macon, Georgia
The nearest school to Macon, Georgia, is conveniently located within around one mile of the city. If you want to pursue a certificate or undergraduate program, you may want to consider the following schools. Graduate level degrees are also available at some of these institutions.
- Mercer University (1.3 miles from downtown Macon)
- Middle Georgia State University (2.9 miles from downtown Macon)
- Wesleyan College (6.8 miles from downtown Macon)
- Central Georgia Technical College (16.6 miles from downtown Macon)
- Fort Valley State University (24.6 miles from downtown Macon)
Largest Schools Near Macon, Georgia
In Fall 2014, the schools with the largest student populations located near Macon, Georgia, were all non-profit institutions. Two of these schools are state universities and one is a technical college.
- Mercer University (8,600 students; 4,667 undergraduates)
- Central Georgia Technical College (7,832 students; all undergraduates)
- Middle Georgia State University (7,676 students; all undergraduates)
- Fort Valley State University (2,696 students; 2,267 undergraduates)
- Wesleyan College (708 students; 660 undergraduates)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates a school's overall net price by deducting the amount of financial aid a full-time undergraduate student received from the total cost of attendance, which includes tuition, books, fees and board. During the 2014-2015 academic year, net prices of traditional schools located in the Macon area ranged from about $2,700 to more than $20,000.
- Central Georgia Technical College ($2,756)
- Middle Georgia State University ($9,313)
- Fort Valley State University ($14,342)
- Wesleyan College ($15,460)
- Mercer University ($20,301)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES calculates the overall graduation rate by considering the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who graduated within 150% of the usual time (i.e. six years for a bachelor's degree or three years for an associate's degree). The non-specialty schools near Macon, Georgia, with the highest graduation rates in 2015 were:
- Mercer University (61%)
- Wesleyan College (59%)
- Fort Valley State University (29%)
- Central Georgia Technical College (21%)
- Middle Georgia State University (14%)
You can use the information from the NCES concerning proximity, student population, net price, and graduation rate in comparing and contrasting schools near Macon, Georgia.