While Manhattan, KS, itself offers a few schools, students seeking to explore more postsecondary education opportunities in the area could consider some schools found in nearby Topeka. Here, we draw on national statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to present comparisons between the traditional institutions to help students make a decision about which school to attend.
Closest Schools to Manhattan, Kansas
The schools closest to Manhattan are a fairly even mix of private and public institutions. Students can also choose from several 2-year (or less) and 4-year institutions in the area.
- Kansas State University (1.5 miles from downtown)
- Manhattan Area Technical College (2.5 miles from downtown)
- Bryan University (47.9 miles from downtown)
- Washburn Institute of Technology (47.9 miles from downtown)
- Washburn University (47.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Manhattan, Kansas
A couple of the larger schools near Manhattan offer graduate and undergraduate degree programs. Overall, student populations in the area tend to be less than 1,000 students.
- Kansas State University (24,766 students)
- Washburn University (6,722 students)
- Washburn Institute of Technology (1,217 students)
- Manhattan Area Technical College (766 students)
- Rasmussen College-Kansas (192 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Net prices for Manhattan-area schools range from about $11,000 to over $24,000 for the 2014-2015 school year. The NCES defines the average net cost for American colleges and universities as the total cost of attendance less the average amount of government or institutional financial aid that full-time undergrad students receive.
- Washburn Institute of Technology ($10,834)
- Washburn University ($11,303)
- Manhattan Area Technical College ($11,692)
- Kansas State University ($17,022)
- Rasmussen College-Kansas ($18,235)
Highest Graduation Rates
A school's overall graduation rate is defined as the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who complete their programs of choice within 150% of the typical time. Overall, graduation rates in the Manhattan area tended to be greater than 40% for 2015. The traditional schools with some of the highest rates are listed here.
- Washburn Institute of Technology (82% graduation rate)
- Kansas State University (62% graduation rate)
- Manhattan Area Technical College (53% graduation rate)
- Washburn University (35% graduation rate)
- Bryan University (19% graduation rate)
Although there are only a few traditional institutions in the Manhattan, KS, area, they do provide students different locations, sizes, prices, and graduation rates to meet their personal preferences.