Would-be students living in or near Marion, IN, only have a few options when it comes to postsecondary education. To help readers in the region make an informed academic decision, the traditional schools are compared in a few categories based on information from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Marion, Indiana
Students wishing to attend a traditional school within about 30 miles of Marion, IN, have a handful of choices. All of the traditional schools in the area are 4-year institutions and offer undergraduate and graduate level degree programs.
- Indiana Wesleyan University - Marion (3 miles from downtown)
- Taylor University (11.2 miles from downtown)
- Huntington University (23.4 miles from downtown)
- Ivy Tech Community College - Kokomo (25.8 miles from downtown)
- Ball State University (29.2 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Marion, Indiana
The majority of the large schools near Marion are 4-year private schools, although there is one public institution. Overall, students can select from schools with less than 100 students to schools with more than 10,000 students.
- Ball State University (20,655 students)
- Indiana Wesleyan University - Marion (14,943 students)
- Indiana University - Kokomo (13,214 students)
- Anderson University (2,399 students)
- Taylor University (2,146 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Students interested in pursuing a degree or a certificate program may wish to find the school that boasts the lowest cost of attendance. The NCES calculates the net price of a school by subtracting the average amount of financial aid an in-state full-time undergrad student receives from the total cost of attendance, which includes tuition, books, living expenses, etc. According to the NCES, the 2014-2015 net prices ranged from about $11,000 to almost $28,000 for the 30-mile radius around Marion.
- Indiana University - Kokomo ($8,566)
- Ball State University ($12,847)
- Huntington University ($19,305)
- Anderson University ($21,945)
- Indiana Wesleyan University - Marion ($25,015)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES looks at the number of full-time undergraduate students who completed their studies within 150% of 'normal time' to calculate overall graduation rates. For example, if a bachelor's degree program normally takes four years to complete, the overall graduation rate would indicate the percentage of students who graduated within six years. The following schools near Marion had graduation rates of at least 50% as of 2015, according to NCES figures.
- Taylor University (77% graduation rate)
- Huntington University (66% graduation rate)
- Ball State University (60% graduation rate)
- Indiana Wesleyan University - Marion (60% graduation rate)
- Anderson University (54% graduation rate)
There are a handful of traditional schools (mostly 4-year private schools) in the Marion, IN, area that vary in location, size, price, and graduation rates to meet the educational needs of interested students.