Students seeking a traditional post-secondary education in Marquette, MI, have limited school options, with only three 4-year public universities and two 2-year public colleges within a 100 miles to choose from. When making their decision, students should consider several factors. This article provides a comparison of these five schools in the following categories to help students make an informed decision about which college or university to attend:
Closest Schools to Marquette, Michigan
If you are wanting to stay close to Marquette, MI and attend a post-secondary educational institution you are pretty much limited to one school, unless you are willing to travel 55 to 70 miles. Here are the five nearest colleges and universities to Marquette, MI.
- Northern Michigan University (In Marquette, MI)
- Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College (55.3 miles from downtown)
- Bay de Noc Community College (55.5 miles from downtown)
- Michigan Technological University (69.0 miles from downtown)
- Finlandia University (70.6 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Marquette, Michigan
For many going to a larger school is important. Larger schools often provide greater opportunity for networking and extracurricular activities that helps students find jobs after school or go on to graduate programs. Here is how our five schools compare in student population according to 2015 NCES reports.
- Northern Michigan University (8,303 students enrolled)
- Michigan Technological University (7,218 students enrolled)
- Bay de Noc Community College (1,853 students enrolled)
- Finlandia University (536 students enrolled)
- Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College (102 students enrolled)
Lowest Net Price
The net price for attending school is determined by NCES through subtracting the average financial aid package received by full-time, beginning undergraduate students from the total cost of attendance, based on the in-district or in-state tuition rate. The net price of attending the schools near Marquette ranged from $5,691 to $23,967 in 2014-2015, as shown in the bellow.
- Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College ($5,691)
- Bay de Noc Community College ($8,071)
- Northern Michigan University ($12,703)
- Michigan Technological University ($16,631)
- Finlandia University ($23,967)
Highest Graduation Rate
The overall graduation rate is calculated by the NCES through determining the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who graduate within 150% of the normal time, such as six years for a bachelor's degree and three years for an associate's degree. The schools near Marquette ranged from 65% down to a surprising low 6% in 2015, in respect to graduation rates.
- Michigan Technological University (65% graduation rate)
- Northern Michigan University (48% graduation rate)
- Finlandia University (38% graduation rate)
- Bay de Noc Community College (24% graduation rate)
- Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College (6% graduation rate)
Now you should know more about the student populations, net prices and graduation rates of the universities and colleges near Marquette, MI. Use this information to aid you in your research on these schools before you decide which one to attend.