Marriage and Family Counseling Diploma Programs in Troy, MI

Troy Marriage and Family Counseling Schools

Study in the field of marriage and family counseling isn't typically offered at the diploma level; according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, marriage and family therapists complete at least a master's degree program and an additional two years of supervised clinical work experience in order to qualify for the required state licensing exam.

Those in the Troy area interested in this career will have to go outside the city for training. This article focuses on the one relatively nearby school that offers a degree program related to marriage and family counseling. Explore the required coursework at the university, and then get additional details on the school in the table of stats. Also included is info on another area institution with a related program offering.

  • Located about 91 miles from central Troy, Michigan State University in East Lansing offers a human development and family studies doctoral degree program with a specialization in couple and family therapy.

School Statistics

Learn more about the profiled university in the table below. It has info on graduate costs, campus setting and more to help you make an informed education decision.

Michigan State University
School Type 4-year; public
Total Enrollment (2017) 50,019*
Campus Setting Small city
Graduate Tuition & Fees (2017-2018) $17,436 in-state; $34,260 out-of-state*

Source: *NCES College Navigator.

Michigan State University

Michigan State University (MSU) is the closest school offering graduate education and training for a career in marriage and family counseling. The school provides students with the opportunity to earn a doctoral degree in this field of study.

Ph.D. in Human Development and Family Studies

This program emphasizes the integration of both family science and human development and offers three areas of specialization: couple and family therapy, child development, and human development and family diversity. Students who choose to specialize in couple and family therapy must complete a clinical internship in addition to their doctoral research. The 4-year program requires 1,000 hours of client contact and a 9-month clinical, research, and administrative internship. Supervised clinical training initially takes place at the school's on-campus clinic; additional community placements may also be made. Coursework for the Ph.D. program includes research methods in marriage and family therapy plus classes in evidence-based therapy, feminist and narrative theories in couple and family therapy, interventions for diverse families and communities, and sex therapy.

The Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE) has accredited the Couple and Family Therapy (CFT) specialization. For applicants with an accredited master's degree in couple and family therapy, direct admission may be granted; for applicants without, additional equivalent prerequisite courses will be required.

Other School Options

Wayne State University's School of Social Work offers a Social Work Practice with Families and Couples Certificate program. While it does not formally prepare students for licensure as marriage and family therapists, it does include related coursework in family systems and marital therapy. The certificate program is open to enrolled students with advanced standing in the school's Master of Social Work (MSW) degree program and MSW graduates. Wayne State University is a public 4-year school that had a total enrollment of 27,064 in 2017; it's located 22 miles south of Troy, MI.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?