Most Martinsville students seeking the traditional college experience will likely need to commute further than 20 miles or potentially re-locate. We compare and contrast these traditional schools using statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Martinsville, Virginia
The closest schools to Martinsville are an even mix of 2-year and 4-year institutions. Graduate degree programs are available at a few schools within the Martinsville area for interested students.
- Patrick Henry Community College (located downtown)
- Ferrum College (18.9 miles from downtown)
- Averett University (25 miles from downtown)
- Danville Community College (25 miles from downtown)
- Hollins University (39.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Martinsville, Virginia
The three largest schools near Martinsville are actually community colleges. After those three public schools, the rest of the larger institutions in the area are private.
- Virginia Western Community College (7,932 students)
- Danville Community College (3,561 students)
- Patrick Henry Community College (2,594 students)
- Roanoke College (2,001 students)
- Ferrum College (1,334 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates a school's net price by adding the actual costs of tuition, books, supplies, and room and board, then subtracting the average amount of financial aid received by full-time undergrad students from that total. Although many of the schools in the Martinsville area have net prices ranging from $14,000 up to almost $30,000, the three community colleges fall under $7,000 for 2014-2015.
- Patrick Henry Community College ($5,389)
- Danville Community College ($6,221)
- Virginia Western Community College ($6,678)
- Skyline College-Roanoke ($17,365)
- Ferrum College ($17,798)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates can show how devoted a school is to student success. The NCES calculates an overall graduation rate for each school based on the number of full-time undergraduate students who finish their studies within 150% of the normal time. For instance, a bachelor's degree is normally finished in 4 years, so 150% of the normal time would be 6 years. Most schools in the area had rates below 50% for 2015.
- Roanoke College (66% graduation rate)
- Hollins University (57% graduation rate)
- Skyline College-Roanoke (48% graduation rate)
- Averett University (34% graduation rate)
- Ferrum College (31% graduation rate)
The Martinsville, VA, area has several 2-year and 4-year traditional schools that offer an array of graduation rates, prices, sizes, and locations for interested students to choose from.