Several public and private postsecondary schools are located near Mason City, Iowa, and range from community colleges to 4-year institutions. Based on information gathered by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), we explore different traditional institutions and compare them in several categories.
Closest Schools to Mason City, Iowa
Although there are few schools that are close to Mason City, the schools that are closest are a mix of 2-year and 4-year institutions. A couple of the schools have graduate programs in addition to undergraduate programs.
- Kaplan University-Mason City Campus (located downtown)
- North Iowa Area Community College (located downtown)
- Waldorf College (23.7 miles from downtown)
- Ellsworth Community College (44.3 miles from downtown)
- Wartburg College (47 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Mason City, Iowa
Schools near Mason City may still be considered small by some, with all schools having less than 3,000 students. However, there is some variation among student population size for students to choose from. Most of the larger schools are public institutions, but the largest school is public.
- North Iowa Area Community College (2,950 students)
- Wartburg College (1,661 students)
- Waldorf College (1,426 students)
- Ellsworth Community College (949 students)
- Kaplan University-Mason City Campus (276 students)
Lowest Net Price
Another factor students may consider is cost of attendance. The data used for these rankings was taken from the National Center for Education Statistics and averages costs based on the 2014-2015 academic year. Net cost is determined by subtracting the average amount of financial aid a full-time undergrad receives from the total cost of attendance. Most schools near Mason City had net prices less than $20,000 for 2014-2015.
- North Iowa Area Community College ($8,262)
- Ellsworth Community College ($11,219)
- Kaplan University-Mason City Campus ($16,870)
- Waldorf College ($19,564)
- Wartburg College ($23,605)
Highest Graduation Rate
Applicants to a college might also consider the percentage of students who graduate. The graduation rates listed below were taken from the NCES and consider percentages of first-time undergraduate students enrolled full time who earned their degree within 150% of normal completion time. Unfortunately, most schools near Mason City had graduation rates less than 50% for 2015.
- Wartburg College (70% graduation rate)
- North Iowa Area Community College (41% graduation rate)
- Waldorf College (37% graduation rate)
- Kaplan University-Mason City Campus (28% graduation rate)
- Ellsworth Community College (25% graduation rate)
Although there are only a few traditional 2-year and 4-year schools near Mason City, Iowa, there is some variation in graduation rates, price, size, and location for students to select from.