Master's Degree Programs in Educational Assessment

Essential Information

Master's degrees in educational assessment prepare graduates for careers as school administrators or academic researchers. The two most commonly awarded degrees in the field are the Master of Education (M.Ed.) and Master of Science (M.S.) in Education with an emphasis on assessment and evaluation. The curricula for each degree are generally the same, though M.S. programs are more likely to require a thesis than are M.Ed. programs. Students in each degree program learn the advanced statistical measures and experimental methods used to assess individual students and evaluate educational techniques and policies.

Master's Degree Programs in Educational Assessment

Master's degree programs in educational assessment are designed to prepare professional educators to accurately assess student progress, use various evaluation techniques and critique evaluation systems used by educational organizations. Applicants have typically earned a bachelor's degree in education, and will need to submit official undergraduate transcripts, letters of recommendation and a personal statement to gain admittance. Students enrolled in a master's degree program concentrating on educational assessment complete coursework in areas that include instructional strategies, using assessment to guide instruction, human learning and curriculum leadership. Common courses include:

  • Educational statistical methods
  • Assessing student performance
  • Evaluating instructional techniques
  • Educational research design
  • Psychometric theory

Popular Career Options

People who complete master's degree programs in educational assessment are qualified for several careers in teaching and school administration. The subjects covered in educational assessment master's degree programs prepare graduates for the careers listed below:

  • Educational researcher
  • Curriculum design expert
  • School principal

Continuing Education Information

Graduates of educational assessment master's degree programs who want to work as educators or school administrators often need to complete unique state licensure requirements before they can work. Many states also require teachers and education administrators to complete periodic continuing education courses ensure their knowledge is current.

Educators wanting to advance in their careers may be interested in a master's in educational assessment. This degree involves students completing courses in assessing student performance, evaluating instructional techniques, and educational research design, with some programs also requiring a thesis.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?