While the Matteson region has plenty of postsecondary schools of all types, this article profiles public and private non-specialty colleges and universities nearby. To help Matteson-area students determine if any of these schools are worth further exploration, we compare them using information from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Matteson, Illinois
There are a handful of 2-year and 4-year schools that are located less than 10 miles from downtown Matteson for those students wishing to be near downtown. Students can find undergraduate and graduate programs available in the area.
- Governors State University (3 miles from downtown)
- Prairie State College (6.7 miles from downtown)
- Rasmussen College - Mokena/Tinley Park (8.1 miles from downtown)
- South Suburban College (9.4 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute - Orland Park (9.5 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Matteson, Illinois
The largest schools near Matteson are mostly public colleges and universities, however, there are some private schools as well. The ten largest schools near Matteson range from around 5,000 students to over 15,000 students. This gives students a wide range of schools to match their size preference.
- Joliet Junior College (15,776 students)
- Moraine Valley Community College (15,286 students)
- University of Chicago (15,097 students)
- City Colleges of Chicago - Richard J Daley College (8,914 students)
- Illinois Institute of Technology (7,898 students)
Lowest Net Price
A school's net price can be determined by subtracting the amount of any institutional or government aid from the total cost of attendance for a full-time undergraduate. The net prices for all schools in the Matteson area ranged from about $300-$33,000 in 2014-2015, according to the NCES. The traditional colleges with the lowest net prices in the area were all 2-year, public colleges.
- Morton College ($3,999)
- Moraine Valley Community College ($4,573)
- South Suburban College ($4,608)
- Joliet Junior College ($4,856)
- Prairie State College ($7,831)
Highest Graduation Rates
The NCES posts graduation rates based on the amount of full-time undergraduate students who complete their programs within 150% of normal time, which would be six years for a bachelor's degree, for instance. The top traditional schools in the Matteson area had graduation rates over 50%, according to the NCES' 2015 records.
- University of Chicago (92% graduation rate)
- Fox College (84% graduation rate)
- Illinois Institute of Technology (73% graduation rate)
- Shimer College (68% graduation rate)
- Lewis University (66%)
Students wishing to attend school near Matteson, IL, can choose from multiple public and private institutions that may fit their location, size, and price preferences.