While the only school located right in Matthews, NC, focuses on cosmetology training, there are quite a few other postsecondary options in the area for aspiring students, including community colleges and technical institutes. In this article, we compare traditional schools in several categories based on data by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Matthews, North Carolina
There are several schools close to Matthews (less than 10 miles from downtown); however, all of them are private specialty schools. The traditional schools that are closest to Matthews are a mix of 2-year and 4-year private and public institutions.
- Queens University of Charlotte (11.5 miles from downtown)
- Central Piedmont Community College (12.5 miles from downtown)
- King's College (12.5 miles from downtown)
- Johnson & Wales University-Charlotte (13.8 miles from downtown)
- Wingate University (14.6 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Matthews, North Carolina
The majority of the larger schools in the Matthews area are 4-year institutions. Most of these schools offer graduate-level degrees, as well as a wide variety of undergraduate programs.
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte (27,238 students)
- Central Piedmont Community College (19,957 students)
- Wingate University (3,034 students)
- Johnson & Wales University-Charlotte (2,255 students)
- Queens University of Charlotte (2,248 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES determines an average net price for schools by subtracting average financial aid awarded from the total cost of attendance for full-time undergraduate students. The schools near Matthews had net prices extending from $6,892 to $41,647 for 2014-2015.
- Central Piedmont Community College ($6,892)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte ($8,761)
- King's College ($15,976)
- University of Phoenix-North Carolina ($17,452)
- Wingate University ($18,821)
Highest Graduation Rate
This overall rate is determined by the NCES by calculating the percentage of full-time undergrad students who finish their programs within 150% of the normal time, such as six years for a bachelor's degree and three years for an associate's degree. Graduation rates at the schools in the Matthews area ranged from 11% to 98% for 2015.
- King's College (73% graduation rate)
- Johnson & Wales University-Charlotte (58% graduation rate)
- Wingate University (54% graduation rate)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte (53% graduation rate)
- Queens University of Charlotte (53% graduation rate)
The Matthews, NC, area is home to multiple 2-year and 4-year institutions that offer varying locations, sizes, prices, and graduation rates to meet a student's needs.