This article focuses on those traditional public and private non-profit schools in the Mechanicsburg area that offer a relatively diverse set of programs in many fields of study. Schools are categorized in four areas using data from the National Center for Education Statistics.
Closest Schools to Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Aspiring college students in the Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, region will find quite a few private schools and technical institutes, alongside a small number of more traditional 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities. Many of the schools located near Mechanicsburg are liberal arts colleges and universities that offer a variety of academic programs. The closest five schools are listed here:
- Messiah College (0.6 miles)
- Central Penn College (7.0 miles)
- Harrisburg University of Science and Technology (7.5 miles)
- Harrisburg Area Community College (9.4 miles)
- Dickinson College (10.0 miles)
Largest Schools Near Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Many students are interested in attending larger schools for program variety and options. The largest school in the area is Harrisburg Area Community College with over 20,000 students. The enrollment numbers drop drastically after that, and the next largest school only has just over 5,000 students.
- York College (5,067)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Harrisburg (4,519)
- Messiah College (3,234)
- Dickinson College (2,364)
- Elizabethtown College (1,822)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
NCES calculates each college's net price by subtracting the average amount of financial aid from the total cost of attending the school; at public schools, total costs are based on in-district or in-state rates. These statistics are based on information from the 2014-2015 school year for full-time undergraduates from NCES. Schools near Mechanicsburg are a mix of public and private schools, most with net prices above $20,000. The five schools detailed below have the lowest net prices in the area.
- Harrisburg Area Community College ($9,750)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State York ($14,883)
- Central Penn College ($16,443)
- Harrisburg University of Science and Technology (18,863)
- Penn State University - Penn State Harrisburg ($20,593)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates are a good indicator of a school's success, providing another significant consideration when evaluating potential colleges. NCES calculates graduation rates based on the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who began in a given year and completed their degree programs within 150% of the 'normal time' for that program (e.g., 6 years for a bachelor's degree). Most schools near Mechanicsburg have graduation rates above 60%. The five schools detailed below have the highest graduation rates in the area; overall graduation rates for these schools are based on students who enrolled in 2009.
- Dickinson College (85%)
- Elizabethtown College (78%)
- Messiah College (77%)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Harrisburg (64%)
- York College Pennsylvania (57%)
When considering colleges for your education, you weigh a variety of criteria; here we saw school information based on location, size, cost and graduation rate to help you in your search.