The field of medical informatics combines information technology with the medical sciences, aiming to facilitate advances in patient care and research. Degrees for medical informatics are typically found at the graduate level.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Health Care Administration
- Health Information and Records Admin
- Health Information Technology
- Health Management and Clinical Administration
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Health Ward Supervisor
- Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Medical Claims Examiner
- Medical Facilities Management
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Services
- Medical Office Computer Technologies
- Medical Office Management
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Staff Services
- Medical Transcriptionist
Good schools that offer this field of study include Northwestern University, located near Chicago, the University of Washington in Seattle and Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. Each of these schools received a national ranking from U.S. News & World Report for 2017.
Northwestern University in Evanston, IL
|School Highlight: Online Master of Science in Medical Informatics (MMI) is offered. Three specialization tracks are available.|
Located approximately 12 miles north of Chicago, Northwestern University is one of the top-ranked schools in the country; for 2017, U.S. News & World Report named Northwestern the 12th-best school in the nation. A Master of Science in Medical Informatics (MMI) is available through collaboration between the School of Continuing Studies and the Feinberg School of Medicine. Students in the program learn to manage, organize and analyze medical patient records. Courses are offered in health care operations, medical technology, medical decision support systems and legal issues within medical informatics. The MMI program is only offered online.
University of Washington in Seattle
|School Highlight: Because classes are held in the evenings, students can fit the UW HIHIM program around other life commitments, such as work and family. You can study part time or full time, on a schedule that works best for you. Classes meet on the conveniently located Seattle campus.|
For 2017, the University of Washington was named the best medical school in the country for Primary Care by U.S. News & World Report. The public university offers 373 degree programs through 20 schools and colleges, including the School of Medicine, which offers a master's degree and Ph.D. in Medical Education and Biomedical Informatics. Courses in academic medicine, informatics research, public health and health care analysis teach students to apply technological theories to the organization and maintenance of health care policies and medical information. Students can also participate in the Teaching Scholars Program, which prepares them to work as medical informatics instructors with universities or medical organizations.
Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA
|School Highlight: Healthcare informatics is one of the specializations offered within CMU's Information Systems Management (MISM) program.|
Through Carnegie Mellon's School of Information Systems & Management, students can earn a Master of Information Systems Management degree. The program is offered in 12-month, 16-month and 21-month formats. Students who choose the healthcare informatics specialization take courses in information technology and healthcare informatics. For 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked Carnegie Mellon #24 among national universities.
Top Medical Informatics Schools
Here is a list of other well-regarded schools with strong medical informatics programs:
- Indiana University - Purdue University - Indianapolis offers bachelor's and master's degrees in informatics, as well as an M.S. in Human-Computer Interaction Design, Data Science and Security Informatics. It also offers an online certificate in data science and a Ph.D. with tracks such as bioinformatics, cheminformatics and health informatics.
- Milwaukee School of Engineering in Milwaukee, WI, teams up with the Medical College of Wisconsin to offer a joint Master of Science in Medical Informatics (MSMI).
- In addition to the biomedical informatics (BMI) research master's, professional master's and coterminal master's for undergraduates, Stanford University in Stanford, CA, offers a Ph.D., certificates, individual courses, research training and a program in conjunction with the medical school for the BMI discipline.
- At the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities in Minneapolis, MN, a Master of Health Informatics (MHI) requires 31 credit hours; the degree can also be earned alongside a medical degree (MD/MHI).
- The University of Tennessee in Knoxville offers online degree programs for master's or post-graduate students, which have been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
- The School of Biomedical Informatics (SBMI) at the University of Texas in Houston offers a graduate certificate, a master's degree, a Ph.D. and a dual degree for health informatics.
For students who want to study medical information technology, graduate-level medical informatics programs provide relevant training. These programs, which are offered at some of the country's highest ranked schools, include training in both computer science and healthcare-related topics.