The 25-mile area surrounding Melrose Park, IL, is packed with post-secondary schools, including beauty training centers, technical institutes and for-profit colleges, among others. This article, however, only profiles traditional private non-profit and public institutions near Melrose Park, allowing the average student to see if any are a good fit. By looking at the National Center for Educational Statistics reports, we compare a few of these schools in four categories.
Closest Schools to Melrose Park, Illinois
For students wanting to stay close to home and avoid a long commute to school there are five schools within five miles of downtown Melrose Park, IL. These schools are:
- Triton College (2.1 miles from downtown)
- Concordia University-Chicago (2.4 miles from downtown)
- Dominican University (2.4 miles from downtown)
- City Colleges of Chicago-Wilbur Wright College (4.0 miles from downtown)
- Elmhurst College (4.3 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Melrose Park, Illinois
The big college experience is filled with networking opportunities, extracurricular activities and a variety of courses to choose from. If you are looking forward the big college experience you have a few options to choose from, all with student populations over 15,000 and all within less than 12 miles, according to 2015 NCES statistics.
- University of Illinois at Chicago (29,048 enrolled students)
- College of DuPage (28,678 enrolled students)
- DePaul University (23,539 enrolled students)
- Northwestern University (21,655 enrolled students)
- Loyola University Chicago (16,437 enrolled students)
Lowest Net Price
According to the NCES, five traditional schools near Melrose Park had average net prices below $6,000 in 2014-2015. To calculate the average net price for a school, the NCES subtracts the average amount of financial aid students receive from a school's total cost of attendance for full time undergraduate students. The statistics below are from the 2014-2015 academic year.
- Morton College ($3,999)
- Moraine Valley Community College ($4,573)
- South Suburban College ($4,608)
- Triton College ($5,274)
- Oakton Community College ($5,941)
Highest Graduation Rate
When determining the graduation rate for a school, the NCES calculates the percentage of full-time, undergraduate students who graduated within 150% of the standard time for the program (for example, three years for an associate's degree). Per data from the NCES, the following schools had the highest graduation rates among traditional colleges and universities near Melrose Park, IL in 2015.
- Northwestern University (93% graduation rate)
- University of Chicago (92% graduation rate)
- Wheaton College (89% graduation rate)
- Loyola University Chicago (74% graduation rate)
- DePaul University (73% graduation rate)
Here, we have discussed a few of the schools in the Melrose Park, IL area and compared them by their proximity to downtown, student population, net price and graduation rate. With this information we hope you can come to a more informed decision as to which schools you should apply to.