There are several options for students searching for a college or university near Memphis, Tennessee. By factoring in proximity to downtown, size, cost, and graduation rate using statistics from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), students can make an informed decision about their education.
Closest Schools to Memphis, Tennessee
There are several schools near Memphis. The five closest schools near downtown Memphis are all within 5 miles. The two closest schools are 2-year public colleges and the other three are 4-year private schools.
- Southwest Tennessee Community College (located downtown)
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis (1.1 miles from downtown)
- Le Moyne-Owen College (1.6 miles from downtown)
- Christian Brothers University (3.1 miles from downtown)
- Rhodes College (4.2 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Memphis, Tennessee
Size can be an important factor when considering a school. The five largest schools in the area have a big difference in the number of students in attendance. The largest school has close to 21,000 students and the smallest of the five has about 2,000 students. The school with the largest student population is a 4-year public school. These institutions are all within 10 miles of downtown Memphis.
- University of Memphis (20,585 students)
- Southwest Tennessee Community College (9,135 students)
- Strayer University-Tennessee (2,155 students)
- Rhodes College (2,063 students)
- Christian Brothers University (1,842 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The costs of colleges and universities is something that students needs to consider when deciding on a school to attend. They can use net prices to compare the cost of the schools for full-time undergraduate students for the 2014-2015 school year. The two schools with the lowest net prices include a 2-year public college and a 4-year private school.
- Southwest Tennessee Community College ($4,375)
- Le Moyne-Owen College ($9,114)
- University of Memphis ($13,154)
- Christian Brothers University ($15,556)
- Vatterott College-Dividend ($18,081)
Highest Graduation Rate
The graduation rate is calculated using the number of full-time undergraduate students who completed their degree program within 150% of the normal time it takes as of 2015. This can be important to students because it can show how many actually complete their degree program. Four out of the five schools with the highest graduation rate are 4-year schools. These schools are all within about 7 miles of downtown Memphis.
- Rhodes College (83% graduation rate)
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis (75% graduation rate)
- Remington College-Memphis Campus (66% graduation rate)
- Christian Brothers University (52% graduation rate)
- University of Memphis (45% graduation rate)
As you can see, using factors like enrollment numbers and graduation rates can help students make a decision about which public or private school would be a best fit for them in the Memphis area.