Mental Health Counseling Degrees in Tucson, AZ with Program Info

There are only three schools within 25 miles of Tucson, AZ, that have degree program related to mental health counseling. Read an overview of two schools' programs, and get statistical information about the schools to find out which one is right for you.

View popular schools

Tucson, AZ, Degree Programs in Mental Health Counseling

There is only one not-for-profit school offering a mental health counseling degree program near Tucson, AZ; however, some nearby schools offer programs with classes in related areas that can prepare students for graduate studies in this area.

The university and the community college offering such programs are highlighted here. Learn about levels of study and degrees awarded as well as course topics addressed in these studies. Get facts about each school in the table below.

  • Pima Community College's 2-year degree program in psychology provides students with foundational studies in counseling. The college is based within Tucson's city limits, about five miles west of the downtown area.
  • University of Arizona is the only university in Tucson and the surrounding area that offers a mental health counseling program. The main campus is situated directly in downtown Tucson.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Clinical Pastoral Counseling
  • Community Health Services
  • Genetic Counseling
  • Marriage and Family Counseling
  • Medical Social Work
  • Mental Health Counseling
  • Mental Health Services Technician
  • Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis
  • Substance Abuse Counseling

Comparison of Schools

Whether you're seeking a graduate or undergraduate degree related to mental health counseling, it is helpful to examine all aspects about the schools before choosing a program. Below are facts and statistics regarding each school's population, acceptance rates, tuition, retention and campus setting.

Pima Community College University of Arizona
School Type 2-year, public 4-year, public
Total Enrollment (2014) 28,070* 42,236*
Campus Setting Large City Large City
Undergraduate Tuition and Fees (2015-2016) $1,974 (in-state)*
$8,610 (out-of-state)*
$11,403 (in-state)*
$32,630 (out-of-state)
% of First-Year Students Receiving Some Form of Financial Aid (2013-2014) 66%* 86%*
Acceptance Rate (2014) 100% (open admissions policy; some health programs have special admission requirements)* 75%*
Retention Rate (2014) 58%* 82%*
Undergraduate Graduation Rate (2014) 11%* 60%*

Source: *NCES College Navigator.

Pima Community College

Established in 1969, Pima Community College is the only public community college within 50 miles of Tucson that offers a 2-year psychology program. The Associate of Arts in Psychology degree program includes 14-16 credit hours of psychology courses.

Associate of Arts in Psychology

After completing this 2-year Associate of Arts in Psychology degree, students may choose to go on to 4-year universities in order to pursue a bachelor's degree in psychology. This program is designed to begin a student's collegiate career and coursework transfers easily into more advanced psychology programs, specifically those that focus on mental health or counseling. Coursework includes psychology fundamentals, research methods, abnormal psychology, normal personality, social psychology and health psychology.

University of Arizona

Established in 1885, the University of Arizona (U of A) is the oldest university in the state. U of A has nearly 20 colleges, including the College of Education which offers its mental health counseling program.

Master of Arts in Counseling - Rehabilitation & Mental Health Counseling Specialty

This 2-year program includes 48 credit hours of core counseling courses as well as 12 credit hours in mental health and rehabilitation counseling. Specialty-area courses include topics in vocational planning, rehabilitation, and psycho social and familial impacts on disabilities. The program is accredited by the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE), and graduates of this 2-year program will have met the educational requirements for professional certification as a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) and state licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma of GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?