Those who seek an education within 25 miles of Merrillville can select either a 2- or 4-year institution to pursue a degree or certificate. Students can use our comparisons of the traditional schools using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), to determine which school will best meet their educational needs.
Closest Schools to Merrillville, Indiana
Some students may wish to attend school close to Merrillville. The closest schools for these students are primarily less than 2-year or 4-year schools. Only a couple of the nearby 4-year schools offer graduate degree programs.
- Brown Mackie College-Merrillville (located downtown)
- DeVry University-Indiana (located downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Merrillville (located downtown)
- Indiana University-Northwest (3.4 miles from downtown)
- Ivy Tech Community College-Northwest (3.6 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Merrillville, Indiana
For students wanting the larger college experience, the Merrillville area offers a handful of institutions with greater than 1,000 students. The three largest schools are public, followed by many private institutions.
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus (9,501 students)
- Purdue University-North Central Campus (6,177 students)
- Indiana University-Northwest (6,052 students)
- Valparaiso University (4,507 students)
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph (1,072 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The NCES' average net price formula is defined as a school's total cost of admission minus the average amount of financial aid received by full-time undergrad students. The Merrillville, IN, area schools ranged from about $7,000 to about $22,500 for 2014-2015.
- Indiana University-Northwest ($6,992)
- Purdue University-North Central Campus ($7,460)
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus ($10,445)
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph ($11,218)
- Brown Mackie College-Merrillville ($17,818)
Highest Graduation Rates
The NCES determines overall graduation rates by calculating how many full-time undergraduate students graduate from their program within 150% of the 'normal' estimated length. Most Merrillville, IN, area schools had overall graduation rates less than 50% for 2015.
- Valparaiso University (67% graduation rate)
- Brown Mackie College-Merrillville (38% graduation rate)
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus (32% graduation rate)
- Calumet College of Saint Joseph (32% graduation rate)
- Purdue University-North Central Campus (26% graduation rate)
The Merrillville, IN, area is home to several private and public schools that differ in graduation rates, price, size, and location to help students find the school that best fits their needs.