Traditional schools in the Metairie area include 2-year public, 4-year public and 4-year private institutions. To sort out the strongest of these for some specific benchmarks, this article looks at specific statistics and provides schools in each of four categories based on data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
Closest Schools to Metairie, Louisiana
Students in the Metairie area, which is less than 10 miles outside of New Orleans, can choose from a variety of degree programs at public or private institutions. The following schools are the closest to downtown Metairie and include three major universities, a 2-year public school and a 4-year private school.
- Loyola University New Orleans (3.5 miles)
- Tulane University of Louisiana (3.5 miles)
- Xavier University of Louisiana (4.4 miles)
- Delgado Community College (4.8 miles)
- Herzing University - Kenner (5.1 miles)
Largest Schools Near Metairie, Louisiana
Three private universities, one 2-year public school and one 4-year public university weigh in as the largest schools in the Metairie area. Typically, larger schools provide more program availability and more flexible scheduling than smaller schools which may appeal to many students.
- Delgado Community College (17,152)
- Tulane University of Louisiana (12,603)
- University of New Orleans (9,234)
- Loyola University New Orleans (4,330)
- Xavier University of Louisiana (2,976)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES determines the net price of a school by deducting the amount of financial aid in-state students receive from the total cost of attendance. The following section profiles the traditional schools with lower net prices in the Metairie area from 2014-2015, according to NCES figures for full-time undergraduate students. Costs range from about $7,700 to $11,100.
- Southern University at New Orleans ($7,685)
- Delgado Community College ($7,870
- Nunez Community College ($8,661)
- University of New Orleans ($8,867)
- University of Holy Cross ($11,063)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates from the NCES are determined by calculating the percentage of undergraduate students who complete their degree programs within 150% of 'normal time' (e.g., three years to finish a 2-year associate's degree program). These rates for schools in the area range from two percent to 100%, based on NCES statistics.
- Tulane University of Louisiana (83%)
- Loyola University New Orleans (66%)
- Xavier University of Louisiana (39%)
- University of Holy Cross (36%)
- University of New Orleans (35%)
You can consider many factors when choosing an education, such as location, size, graduation rates and costs, which are provided here from NCES data to help you with your search.