Would-be college students living in Michigan City may need to travel outside the city limits to find a suitable school - most available postsecondary options are at least 10 miles away in neighboring towns. To help students make informed educational choices, the traditional schools in the area are compared using data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Michigan City, Indiana
The closest schools to Michigan City are mostly 4-year institutions. A few of these 4-year schools offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs for interested students.
- Brown Mackie College-Michigan City (located downtown)
- Purdue University-North Central Campus (10.9 miles from downtown)
- Valparaiso University (18.7 miles from downtown)
- Ivy Tech Community College-Northwest (26.4 miles from downtown)
- Indiana University-Northwest (28.4 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Michigan City, Indiana
There are only three schools near Michigan City that have a student population greater than 1,000. The majority of the schools near Michigan City are private institutions, but the two largest schools are public.
- Purdue University-North Central Campus (6,158 students)
- Indiana University-Northwest (5,848 students)
- Valparaiso University (4,524 students)
- Brown Mackie College-Merrillville (399 students)
- ITT Technical Institute-Merrillville (251 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
According to the NCES, a school's net price is determined by the average net cost of attendance minus the average amount of financial assistance received by full-time undergrad students from governmental or institutional sources. Universities and colleges within 30 miles of Michigan City range in net price from about $7,000 to more than $22,000 a year for 2014-2015.
- Indiana University-Northwest ($6,992)
- Purdue University-North Central Campus ($7,460)
- Brown Mackie College-Merrillville ($17,818)
- DeVry University-Indiana ($21,824)
- Valparaiso University ($22,136)
Highest Graduation Rate
A school's graduation rate is defined as the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who are able to complete their chosen programs of study within 150% of the typical time required by said programs. All schools in the area had rates that ranged from 3% to 67% for 2015.
- Valparaiso University (67% graduation rate)
- Brown Mackie College-Merrillville (38% graduation rate)
- Brown Mackie College-Michigan City (34% graduation rate)
- Purdue University-North Central Campus (26% graduation rate)
- Indiana University-Northwest (24% graduation rate)
The Michigan City, IN, area offers a handful of private and public institutions that vary enough in location, size, price, and graduation rate that students may be able to find a school to fit their educational needs and preferences.