Students who want to study in or near Mississippi State, MS, have a few options, including two universities and a community college. Compare these three schools using student population, location, net price and graduation rate data provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Mississippi State, Mississippi
The closest schools to Mississippi State are two 4-year universities and one 2-year community college. All three of these schools are public institutions.
- Mississippi State University (located downtown)
- Mississippi University for Women (21.2 miles from downtown)
- East Mississippi Community College (45.4 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Mississippi State, Mississippi
The three schools near Mississippi State vary in size, but all have a co-ed student population that is greater than 1,000 students. The two universities also offer graduate degree programs for interested students.
- Mississippi State University (20,873 students)
- East Mississippi Community College (4,259 students)
- Mississippi University for Women (2,673 students)
Lowest Net Price
The average net prices calculated by NCES represent the difference between the total cost of attendance for full-time undergraduates - including tuition, room and board, books and fees - and the average financial aid award. Based on 2014-2015 data, the community college in the area was a cheaper option than the universities.
- East Mississippi Community College ($5,499)
- Mississippi University for Women ($10,930)
- Mississippi State University ($15,426)
Highest Graduation Rate
Many students want a school they can feel good about and stick with through graduation. The NCES tracks the portion of new full-time undergraduates who graduate within 150% of the normal time, or six years for bachelor's degree programs and three years for 2-year programs. For 2015, all three schools in the area had graduation rates greater than 40%.
- Mississippi State University (60% graduation rate)
- Mississippi University for Women (47% graduation rate)
- East Mississippi Community College (41% graduation rate)
Despite the limited number of options, the Mississippi State, MS, area provides students with some variation in postsecondary school location, size, price, and graduation rates.