Though there are few options, it is still important to carefully consider each school in the Monroe area when searching for which college to attend. The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) provides information on various aspects of these schools, like their graduation rates, student populations, net prices, and distance from the city.
Closest Schools to Monroe, LA
Though there aren't many, the schools in Monroe are fairly spread out. When choosing where to enroll, it's important to keep in mind how far away from the city your prospective college actually is, especially if you're a commuter. The NCES has a list of the schools in the area based on their distance from Monroe. These are the closest schools to the city.
- University of Louisiana at Monroe (1.8 miles from Monroe)
- Louisiana Delta Community College (3.9 miles from Monroe)
- Louisiana Tech University (31.8 miles from Monroe)
- Grambling State University (35.5 miles from Monroe)
Largest Schools Near Monroe, LA
The number of students at a school can often be an indicator of things like average class size and how many different clubs and activities offered are on campus. Depending on your preferences, a larger school may be what you're looking for when researching where to enroll. The NCES compiles the student enrollment numbers from the fall 2015 school year the various colleges in and around Monroe. These are the largest schools in the area during that time.
- Louisiana Tech University (12,371)
- University of Louisiana at Monroe (8,804)
- Grambling State University (4,541)
- Louisiana Delta Community College (2,080)
Lowest Net Price
The cost to attend school is one of the most important factors to consider for many students. The NCES computes a college's average net price by subtracting the amount of governmental and institutional financial aid received by the average student from the total cost of attending the school, which includes tuition, fees, books, room and board. These schools had the lowest full-time undergraduate net prices among the colleges in the Monroe area during the 2014-2015 school year.
- University of Louisiana at Monroe ($7,912)
- Louisiana Tech University ($8,905)
- Louisiana Delta Community College ($9,173)
- Grambling State University ($17,051)
Highest Graduation Rate
A college's overall graduation rate is the percentage of students who complete their program within 150% of the 'normal' time. For instance, a bachelor's degree program generally takes four years to complete, so the overall graduation rate reveals the percentage of students who graduated within six years. The following schools had the highest overall undergraduate graduation rates for institutions in the Monroe area, per the NCES data.
- Louisiana Tech University (52% for those enrolled in 2009)
- University of Louisiana at Monroe (41% for those enrolled in 2009)
- Grambling State University (35% for those enrolled in 2009)
- Louisiana Delta Community College (17% for those enrolled in 2012)
When preparing to apply for college in Monroe, Louisiana, make sure to consider graduation rates, net price, proximity to the city, and student population when researching your options.