More than half of the 12 schools close to New Castle are either public or private institutions, and these schools are our focus here. We compare and contrast these schools in four categories based on data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to New Castle, Delaware
For students wanting to attend school close to New Castle, there are a mix of 2-year and 4-year institutions that offer mostly undergraduate, but some graduate, degree level programs. A handful of these schools are less than 5 miles from downtown.
- Wilmington University (located downtown)
- Dawn Career Institute Inc (4.7 miles from downtown)
- Delaware College of Art and Design (4.9 miles from downtown)
- Delaware Technical Community College-Stanton/Wilmington (4.9 miles from downtown)
- Goldey-Beacom College (5.4 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near New Castle, Delaware
The schools near New Castle range from very small with 48 students, up to larger schools with over 22,000 students. Five of the larger schools are mostly private institutions.
- University of Delaware (22,680 students)
- Wilmington University (14,467 students)
- Goldey-Beacom College (2,012 students)
- Strayer University-Delaware (335 students)
- Dawn Career Institute Inc (226 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The net price for a college or university is determined by subtracting the average amount of financial aid that a full-time undergraduate student receives from the tuition, fees, and other costs of the school. All of the following five schools have net prices under or around $24,000 for 2014-2015.
- Wilmington University ($12,980)
- Goldey-Beacom College ($14,677)
- University of Delaware ($15,149)
- Strayer University-Delaware ($24,117)
Highest Graduation Rate
Another factor that may be worth researching is the school's graduation rate. A school's overall graduation rate is based on the number of full-time undergraduates who graduate in 150% of the 'normal' time for their programs, such as six years for a bachelor's degree program. The following schools have some of the highest graduation rates for 2014.
- University of Delaware (79% graduation rate)
- Dawn Career Institute Inc (68% graduation rate)
- Delaware College of Art and Design (60% graduation rate)
- Goldey-Beacom College (54% graduation rate)
- Wilmington University (23% graduation rate)
The NCES offers some valuable insight into public and private school options near New Castle, Delaware, for students wishing to attend school in the area and are considering location, size, price, and graduation rates.