While there are many postsecondary institutions near North Charleston, SC, the majority of them operates on a private for-profit basis or offers only a narrow selection of specialized programs. We compare the traditional colleges and universities in the area with data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), allowing the average student to see if any represent a good educational fit.
Closest Schools to North Charleston, South Carolina
The closest schools to North Charleston are a good mix of 2-year (or less) and 4-year institutions. Most of the schools are private, but there are a few public schools scattered throughout the area.
- Trident Technical College (1.1 miles from downtown)
- Miller-Motte Technical College-Charleston (4.5 miles from downtown)
- Strayer University-Charleston Campus (4.5 miles from downtown)
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina (4.7 miles from downtown)
- Charleston Southern University (4.7 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near North Charleston, South Carolina
Students near North Charleston can select from schools with fewer than 100 students to schools with upwards of 10,000 students. The majority of the larger institutions also offer graduate programs in addition to undergraduate programs.
- Trident Technical College (16,136 students)
- College of Charleston (11,456 students)
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina (3,592 students)
- Charleston Southern University (3,367 students)
- Miller-Motte Technical College-Charleston (635 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
The total estimated cost of in-district or in-state college attendance minus the average amount awarded to full-time undergraduate students in grants and scholarships yields net price as reported by the NCES. Traditional schools in Charleston had net prices in the $7,000-$24,000 range. The following list shows some of the traditional institutions in the North Charleston area from lowest to highest net price, based on NCES data for 2014-2015.
- Trident Technical College ($7,665)
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina ($17,162)
- Charleston Southern University ($17,417)
- College of Charleston ($18,677)
- Miller-Motte Technical College-Charleston ($20,064)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES calculates an overall graduation rate for postsecondary institutions. This figure reflects the percentage of full-time, first-time students who completed their certificate or degree programs within 150% of the expected time. The traditional schools in the North Charleston area have a wide range of graduation rates, from 11% to 68% for 2015.
- College of Charleston (68% graduation rate)
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina (67% graduation rate)
- Charleston Southern University (39% graduation rate)
- Miller-Motte Technical College-Charleston (39% graduation rate)
- Trident Technical College (11% graduation rate)
Students can find several public and private schools that can meet their educational preferences in location, size, price, and graduation rates near North Charleston, SC.