Norwalk, Connecticut, offers a variety of colleges and universities for interested students. Using data from the National Center for Education Statistics, let's take a closer look in four categories, beginning with which traditional (non-specialty) colleges and universities are most convenient to Norwalk.
Closest Schools to Norwalk, Connecticut
One traditional school, a community college, is right in the city of Norwalk, with another community college and three universities within a short commute. If you don't want to travel far, these five schools are the closest.
- Norwalk Community College (2.3 miles from downtown)
- University of Connecticut-Stamford (7.2 miles from downtown)
- Fairfield University (9.5 miles from downtown)
- Sacred Heart University (11.4 miles from downtown)
- Housatonic Community College (13.2 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Norwalk, Connecticut
Larger schools may offer students a greater variety of academic and extracurricular opportunities. The five largest schools in the Norwalk area are mid-size institutions.
- Sacred Heart University (8,235 students)
- Norwalk Community College (6,054 students)
- Western Connecticut State University (5,826 students)
- University of Bridgeport (5,433 students)
- Housatonic Community College (5,369 students)
Schools with Lowest Net Price
The NCES calculates the average net price of a school by determining the total annual cost for full-time undergraduate students and then subtracting the average amount of financial aid awarded. Based on NCES figures for the 2014-2015 school year, the following five schools were the most affordable institutions in the Norwalk area.
- Housatonic Community College ($4,759 per year)
- University of Connecticut-Stamford ($6,915 per year)
- Norwalk Community College ($7,248 per year)
- Western Connecticut State University ($16,926 per year)
- University of Bridgeport ($24,530)
Schools with Highest Graduation Rates
Overall graduation rate refers to the number of full-time undergraduate students who graduated within 150% of 'normal' program time. A high graduation rate can indicate student success at a particular institution. According to NCES, these Norwalk-area schools had the highest graduation rates.
- Fairfield University (82%)
- Sacred Heart University (64%)
- University of Connecticut-Stamford (57%)
- Western Connecticut State University (50%)
- University of Bridgeport (34%)
In conclusion, when you're trying to make a college decision, it can help to look at NCES data for the schools in and around Norwalk.