Although the number of colleges within 25 miles of Notre Dame is fairly small, prospective students looking for a traditional school have several private and public universities and colleges to choose from. Learn how these schools rank in 4 separate categories, according to data from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Notre Dame, Indiana
For students wishing to be near Notre Dame, IN, there are at least 10 schools that are less than 5 miles away from downtown Notre Dame. These schools are mostly private institutions, but there are a few public schools as well.
- Holy Cross College (located in Notre Dame)
- Saint Mary's College (located in Notre Dame)
- University of Notre Dame (located in Notre Dame)
- Indiana University - South Bend (0.3 miles from downtown Notre Dame)
- Purdue University - Purdue Polytechnic South Bend (0.3 miles from downtown Notre Dame)
Largest Schools Near Notre Dame, Indiana
Some students may be concerned with the size of different schools when looking for the right college. The largest schools in the Notre Dame area have less than 12,500 students and are mostly 4-year schools with both undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- University of Notre Dame (12,292 students)
- Indiana University - South Bend (7,574 students)
- Bethel College - Indiana (1,719 students)
- Saint Mary's College (1,657 students)
- Goshen College (839 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES determines a school's net price by taking the total cost (including tuition, fees, books, etc.) and subtracting the average amount of financial aid awarded to full-time, beginning undergraduates. To control student debt after graduation, students may want to consider choosing schools with a low net cost. The net prices for all schools in the Notre Dame area ranged from $6,400 and $27,500 for 2014-2015, according to the NCES.
- Ivy Tech Community College - Northcentral ($6,416)
- Indiana University - South Bend ($9,296)
- Purdue University - Purdue Polytechnic South Bend ($11,643)
- Bethel College - Indiana ($18,079)
- Brown Mackie College - South Bend ($18,825)
Highest Graduation Rate
A school's graduation rate may indicates its overall success rate. To figure out the overall graduation rate, the NCES looks at the percentage of full-time undergraduate students who graduated in 150% of normal time, (such as 6 years for a bachelor's degree). Out of all schools in the Notre Dame area, graduation rates ranged from 25%-97% in 2014, per the NCES.
- University of Notre Dame (97% graduation rate)
- Saint Mary's College (79% graduation rate)
- Goshen College (66% graduation rate)
- Bethel College - Indiana (64% graduation rate)
- Brown Mackie College - South Bend (32% graduation rate)
When comparing location, size, lowest net price, and graduation rates, the Notre Dame, IN, area offers a variety of 2- and 4-year school options.