Nuclear Medicine Technologist Schools and Colleges in the U.S.

To enter this career, one needs a certificate, associate degree or bachelor's degree in nuclear medicine technology and a passing score on the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB) national exam. Training programs can take 1-4 years, depending on the student's background.

View popular schools

Undergraduate programs in nuclear medicine technology are offered at community colleges, teaching hospitals and four-year colleges and universities.

10 Schools with Nuclear Medicine Technologist Programs

Below are a few of the schools that offer training in nuclear medicine technology along with the programs they offer, their location and tuition rates.

College/University Location Institution Type Program Offered 2015-2016 Tuition*
Indiana University of Pennsylvania Indiana, PA 4-year, Public Bachelor's $9,936 (in-state)
University of Vermont Burlington, VT 2-year, Public Bachelor's $16,768 (in-state)
Community College of Allegheny County Pittsburgh, PA 2-year, Public Associate $3,999 (in-district), $7,298 (in-state)
University of Kansas Medical Center Lawrence, KS 4-year, Public Certificate $2,000 per semester
Bellevue College Bellevue, WA 4-year, Public Associate $3,619 (in-state)
Hillsborough Community College Tampa, FL 2-year, Public Associate $2,506 (in-state)
University of Arkansas Fayetteville, AR 4-year, Public Bachelor's $8,522 (in-state)
University of Alabama Birmingham Birmingham, AL 4-year, Public Master's $7,340 (in-state, graduate)
GateWay Community College New Haven, CT 2-year, Public Associate, Certificate $4,032 (in-state)
Mayo School of Health Sciences Rochester, MN 4-year, Private Certificate $564

Source: *National Center for Education Statistics

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Athletic Trainer
  • Cardiovascular Technologies
  • Electrocardiograph Tech. - ECG, EKG
  • Electroencephalographic Tech. - EEG, END
  • EMT and Paramedic
  • Genetic Therapy
  • Industrial Radiologic Technology
  • Medical Radiologic Therapist
  • Nuclear Medical Technologist
  • Perfusionist
  • Physician Assistant
  • Radiation Protection Technology
  • Radiological Science and Technologies
  • Respiratory Care Therapy
  • Surgical Technologies
  • Ultrasound and Sonography Technologies

School Selection Criteria

Students considering programs in nuclear medicine should keep the following in mind when looking for nuclear medicine technologist schools:

  • To be eligible to sit for the NMTCB exam, students must complete a program that is accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology.
  • Students may want to choose a program that has an association with a medical school or hospital with a national reputation or one that offers opportunities for specialization.
  • Some programs offer distance-learning options or flexible scheduling with classes and clinical rotations on evenings and weekends.

Certificate in Nuclear Medicine Technology

Certificate programs last around one to two years and are intended to supplement the education and experience of current allied health professionals who would like to add nuclear medicine to their certifications. Certificate programs are offered at community colleges and at hospitals and other healthcare facilities. Coursework covers nuclear medicine techniques and includes clinical rotations or internships. Applicants must either be certified allied health professionals or have completed an associate degree program that included prerequisite coursework in the sciences and math.

Associate of Science (A.S.) in Nuclear Medicine Technology

An A.S. program takes two years to complete and includes some general education courses and clinical practicums. Students are often required to have already fulfilled basic courses in anatomy, physiology, pathology, chemistry and math before entering an A.S. program. Some programs are intended for individuals already working as allied health professionals. Prerequisites vary, but a high school diploma or GED certificate is the minimum requirement for entry into an A.S. program.

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Nuclear Medicine Technology

A B.S. program takes four years to complete. The first two years are spent fulfilling general education requirements and taking prerequisite science and math courses. The last two years are spent taking professional courses in specific nuclear medicine techniques and procedures. Students complete multiple clinical rotations or practicums. A high school diploma or GED certificate is required to begin a B.S. program, and satisfactory completion of prerequisite courses is required before being admitted to professional-level courses.

Aspiring nuclear medicine technologists can pursue programs at many two- and four-year schools around the country. Certificate programs take a fraction of the time and are a fraction of the cost of degree programs.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

    • MS in Nursing
    • Master of Healthcare Administration
    • BS in Health Science
    • Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
    • BS in Healthcare Administration

    What is your highest level of education completed?

    • EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
    • MBA: Health Systems Management
    • MS in Health Care Administration
    • BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
    • Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science
    • BS in Health Care Administration

    What is your highest level of education?

    • MSHS Medical Laboratory Sciences
    • MSHS in Immunohematology and Biotechnology
    • MSHS in Molecular Diagnostic Sciences
    • MSHS in Translational Microbiology

    What is your highest level of education?

    • Medical Assistant Technology
    • Medical Assistant

    What year did you graduate High School / Receive GED?

    • Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration

    What is your highest level of education?

    • Medical Assistant

    What is your highest level of education completed?

  • What is your highest level of education completed?

  • What is your age?

    • Medical Assistant-Certificate

    What is your highest level of education completed?

  • What is your highest level of education completed?

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?