There are a variety of post-secondary schools in and surrounding Oakwood, Georgia that offer potential students the chance to advance their education. This article will explore the traditional schools in several categories using data collected by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Oakwood, Georgia
Some students may desire to attend a school that is close to home or a place of work. For these students around Oakwood, there are several 2-year and 4-year institutions to choose from. Technical institutes offer a wide variety of programs in technology and scientific fields of study, while universities and colleges offer many programs in the humanities, arts, sciences and other broader academic categories.
- Lanier Technical College (located downtown)
- Brenau University (5.5 miles from downtown)
- Georgia Gwinnett College (17.1 miles from downtown)
- Gwinnett Technical College (17.1 miles from downtown)
- ITT Technical Institute-Duluth (20.2 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Oakwood, Georgia
Students looking for the larger schools near Oakwood have primarily public institutions to choose from. A couple of these schools even offer graduate degree programs for interested students. The schools listed below are considered small- to medium-sized campuses.
- University of North Georgia (17,289 students)
- Georgia Gwinnett College (11,468 students)
- Gwinnett Technical College (6,959 students)
- Lanier Technical College (3,646 students)
- Brenau University (2,883 students)
Lowest Net Price
The NCES College Navigator calculates the average net price of enrollment that full-time undergrad students pay each year at schools across the country by subtracting the average amount of financial aid awarded from the total cost of attendance for a school. This can be extremely helpful, as the cost of college is typically one of the most pivotal factors in a student determining where he/she will enroll. In the Oakwood area during the 2014-2015 school year, technical colleges had some of the lowest net prices.
- Lanier Technical College ($5,744)
- Gwinnett Technical College ($8,015)
- University of North Georgia ($10,299)
- Georgia Gwinnett College ($12,264)
- Brenau University ($20,011)
Highest Graduation Rate
The NCES College Navigator provides statistics on graduation rates by calculating the number of full-time undergraduate students who received their degrees within 150% of the 'normal' time it takes to finish a program (i.e. normal time in the survey by the NCES for a bachelor's degree is six years). Unfortunately, all of the traditional schools in the Oakwood area had rates less than 50% for students who started their program in 2009 or 2012.
- Brenau University (48% graduation rate)
- Lanier Technical College (31% graduation rate)
- ITT Technical Institute-Duluth (27% graduation rate)
- University of North Georgia (24% graduation rate)
- Gwinnett Technical College (21% graduation rate)
A handful of traditional public and private institutions near Oakwood, Georgia, offer students a variety of locations, sizes, prices, and graduation rates to choose from when looking for a potential school.