Located in Marion County, FL, the city of Ocala offers only a few education options for aspiring college students. Surrounding cities, however, offer nearby access to a large four-year university as well as several colleges and vocational schools. Narrowing down the options and finding the right school can be a challenge, but we've listed some of the area's public and private non-profit traditional schools into categories based on statistics from the National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES) to help you decide on one for you.
Closest Schools to Ocala, Florida
The two schools in Ocala include 2-year and 4-year institutions. Some of the other closest schools in nearby cities include another 2-year public school as well as 4-year public and private colleges. Students can earn undergraduate degrees and certificates at these schools.
- Marion County Community Technical and Adult Education Center (2.1 miles from downtown)
- College of Central Florida (6.9 miles from downtown)
- Withlacoochee Technical Institute (27.6 miles from downtown)
- Beacon College (29.9 miles from downtown)
- Lake-Sumter State College (30.5 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Ocala, Florida
All of the largest schools near Ocala, Florida, are 4-year public schools as of fall 2015. The largest school had more than 50,000 students, while most of the others had less than 8,000 students.
- University of Florida (50,645 students)
- Santa Fe College (14,767 students)
- College of Central Florida (7,452 students)
- Saint Johns River State College (7,091 students)
- Lake-Sumter State College (4,641 students)
Lowest Net Price
Few students are fortunate enough to be unconcerned with the cost of attending college. For most, finding a reasonably priced school that doesn't break the bank is a priority. According to the NCES, the following schools had the lowest net prices for full-time undergraduates as of the 2014-2015 academic year. The net price is calculated by considering the average cost of attendance as well as the average financial aid package awarded to students.
- Lake-Sumter State College ($5,403)
- College of Central Florida ($6,746)
- Saint Johns River State College ($7,112)
- Santa Fe College ($7,436)
- University of Florida ($14,610)
Highest Graduation Rate
Graduation rates can be helpful when comparing schools because they may offer an idea of the educational quality at the institutions. These schools had the highest rates as reported by the NCES. The 2015 stats are based on full-time undergraduate students who earned their first degree or certificate within 150% of normal program completion time.
- Withlacoochee Technical Institute (87% graduation rate)
- University of Florida (87% graduation rate)
- Beacon College (80% graduation rate)
- Lake Technical College (74% graduation rate)
- Stetson University (64% graduation rate)
The city of Ocala, Florida, offers a variety of public and private non-profit institutions and we've organized them into four categories, including lowest net price and highest graduation rate, to help you choose one that is most suited to you.