Occupational Therapy College in New Hampshire with Program Info

Jul 25, 2019

Research occupational therapy programs in New Hampshire, which currently has two schools offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Read an overview of programs and tuition info to decide which school is right for you.

Essential Information

Students in New Hampshire can find two schools that offer programs in occupational therapy. Programs lead to an associate's, bachelor's, or master's degree in the field. The bachelor's and master's degrees are offered as a combined program designed to lead to occupational therapist licensure, while the 2-year associate program is designed to lead to occupational therapy assistant licensure. Curriculum includes classroom instruction, lab training, and fieldwork experiences. Students must be CPR-certified to enter at least one of the programs.

River Valley Community College

Part of the Community College System of New Hampshire, this school offers an Associate in Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant program at the main campus in Claremont. Admission requirements include working knowledge of CPR for allied health professionals or child and adult automated external defibrillator (AED) training. The curriculum includes coursework in developmental and physiological disabilities, clinical massage therapy and functional kinesiology. Students also complete three fieldwork experiences to earn the degree. Upon completion of the program, students can take the national certification exam for occupational therapy assistants administered by the NBCOT. During 2012-2014, the school had an 89% pass rate for students who took the exam for the first time, which was equivalent to 33 out of 36 students.

University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

Founded in 1866, this Durham school offers over 100 majors, including a combined Bachelor of Science/Master of Science in Occupational Therapy and a Professional Master of Science in Occupational Therapy. For the combined program, students complete pre-professional coursework for the first three years and professional graduate courses beginning in their senior year. For the master's portion of the program, students are required to apply for admission and complete three additional semesters. Students who apply directly to the professional master's degree program must complete 74 credit hours for 2.5 years. Students enrolled in graduate courses complete lab training in areas such as child and adult intervention, human movement, occupational performance and physiological evaluation. The university also offers a student occupational therapy association that facilitates educational and social events.

Career Requirements

To practice in the state, students must obtain licensure from the New Hampshire Occupational Therapy Governing Board. Eligibility requirements for licensure include completion of a program approved by the American Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) or certification from the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). In addition, those wishing to become licensed occupational therapy assistants must complete at least two months of supervised fieldwork, while those seeking licensure as occupational therapists must complete a minimum of six months of supervised fieldwork. To be eligible for renewal every two years, licensees must remain in good standing with the board and meet continuing education requirements. The following programs can prepare students for certification as occupational therapy assistants or occupational therapists.

School Comparison: At a Glance

School Name School Type and Setting Occupational Therapy Programs Offered Tuition and Fees per year for Full-Time Students
River Valley Community College 2-year, public; fringe rural Associate in Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant $7,298 in-state;
$16,098 out-of-state (2018-2019)*
University of New Hampshire-Main Campus 4-year, public; small suburb Bachelor of Science/Master of Science in Occupational Therapy,
Professional Master of Science in Occupational Therapy
Undergraduate: $18,499 in-state; $33,879 out-of-state,
Graduate: $15,935 in-state; $29,225 out-of-state (2018-2019)*

Sources: *NCES College Navigator.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?