Odessa, Texas, has three schools nearby that students may be interested in. Comparing these three schools through statistics provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) can help students make an informed decision about their education.
Closest Schools to Odessa, Texas
Location is important for students who may or may not want the school they choose to be close to downtown Odessa. The closest school is a public 4-year university that is about 2 miles away, and the furthest school is almost 20 miles away. Take a look at the nearest schools to Odessa:
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (2.4 miles from downtown)
- Odessa College (5.3 miles from downtown)
- Midland College (19.7 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Odessa, Texas
The number of students attending a school can be an important factor for prospective students. The schools near Odessa have similar numbers in regards to student population, all around the 5,500 to 6,000 range. The largest school is also the closest to downtown Odessa. All three of these schools are public.
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (6,077 students)
- Odessa College (5,473 students)
- Midland College (5,430 students)
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
Lowest Net Price
Cost to attend a school is important when choosing a college or university. These schools use a net price to compare the cost of different schools for full-time undergraduate students for the 2014-2015 school year. The school with the lowest net price near Odessa is the only 2-year college in the area. The highest net price on this list is located almost 20 miles from downtown.
- Odessa College ($6,965)
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin ($8,984)
- Midland College ($9,040)
Highest Graduation Rate
By knowing each school's graduation rate, prospective students have a better idea of how well a school does at helping students complete their degree programs. The graduation rate for these schools near Odessa is calculated using the number of full-time undergraduate students who complete their degree program within 150% of the normal time as of 2015. The school with the highest graduation rate in the area is a 4-year university that is also the closest school to downtown Odessa.
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (40% graduation rate)
- Odessa College (20% graduation rate)
- Midland College (19% graduation rate)
In summary, by understanding the location, size, cost, and graduation rate of colleges and universities in the area, students can compare schools to see which ones best fit their needs.