While there are plenty of specialized colleges or for-profit institutions near Omaha that may interest some students, we focus on the more traditional schools in the area. We compared these postsecondary options in several categories using information provided by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Closest Schools to Omaha, Nebraska
Some students may wish to attend school near home, a place of work, or a larger city. For students near Omaha, the closest schools tend to be 4-year institutions.
- Creighton University (0.8 miles from downtown)
- Grace University (1.6 miles from downtown)
- Metropolitan Community College Area (2.8 miles from downtown)
- College of Saint Mary (3.8 miles from downtown)
- University of Nebraska at Omaha (3.9 miles from downtown)
Largest Schools Near Omaha, Nebraska
Students desiring to attend a larger institution near Omaha have a fairly even mix of public and private schools to choose from. Several of these bigger schools offer both undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- University of Nebraska at Omaha (15,526 students)
- Metropolitan Community College Area (14,812 students)
- Bellevue University (9,760 students)
- Creighton University (8,435 students)
- College of Saint Mary (1,001 students)
Lowest Net Price
A school's net price is determined by the NCES by subtracting the average financial aid awarded to in-state, full-time undergrad students from the institution's total cost of attendance. The net price and financial aid data used below is from the 2014-2015 academic year. Of all the schools in the area, the local community college had the lowest net price.
- Metropolitan Community College Area ($6,586)
- Bellevue University ($8,727)
- University of Nebraska at Omaha ($11,175)
- College of Saint Mary ($16,588)
- Grace University ($16,962)
Highest Graduation Rate
Overall graduation rates calculated by the NCES indicate the portion of full-time undergraduate students who completed their programs in 150% of the 'normal time' (e.g. three years for an associate's degree program). The NCES noted that overall graduation rates at traditional schools in the area ranged from a high of 79% to a low of 13% in 2015. The following Omaha area schools had the highest graduation rate in 2015:
- Creighton University (79% graduation rate)
- College of Saint Mary (48% graduation rate)
- University of Nebraska at Omaha (47% graduation rate)
- Grace University (46% graduation rate)
- Vatterott College - Spring Valley (31% graduation rate)
Omaha, Nebraska, has a multitude of traditional public and private institutions that differ in location, size, price, and graduation rates to help meet the preferences and needs of future students.