Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aesthetician and Skin Care
- Barber and Hair Cutting Services
- Beauty Salon Management
- Cosmetology, Hair, and Nail Instructor
- Facial Treatment Specialist
- Hair Design
- Make-Up Artist
- Nail Technician - Manicurist
- Permanent Cosmetics and Tattooing
The majority of beauty schools, technical schools and community colleges only offer on-campus diploma, certificate and associate's degree programs in esthetics because of the hands-on nature of the training. However, some esthetics programs combine traditional learning with online classes. Courses in physiology and anatomy of the human skin, business, law, sanitation, salon management and communications can be delivered in an online format and are a part of certain esthetician programs.
All states require estheticians to be licensed; however, qualifications vary by state. Typically the requirements are a high school diploma or GED, being at least 16 years of age and graduation from an accredited state-licensed school with a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in each course. The license exam generally consists of a written exam, oral exam and a skills assessment test. Continuing education courses are often required for license renewal.
Online Esthetics Courses
The following areas of study are commonly covered in esthetician certificate and diploma courses. Among them, the topics that don't require hands-on training may be offered online.
- Nail care: Get basic information about manicures and pedicures as well as nail structures, nail diseases and disorders, cuticle treatments and cracked nail repair.
- Skin care and therapy: This online course will address skin physiology and disorders, in addition to skin products and applications.
- Skin analysis and massage: This course can cover exfoliation, face massage methods, facial mask applications and face cleansing techniques.
- Cosmetic chemistry: Study information about skin biology, cell physiology, emulsions and skin products.
- Make-up application and color theory: Review techniques for applying foundation and eye makeup as well as application tools and skin colors.
- Medical terminology: Go over medical terms and meanings for words and phrases that would commonly be used in all areas of the medical field for medical transcription purposes.
- Introduction to therapeutic massage: Learn about massage therapy objectives and principles and various massage methods and techniques.