Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Molecular Biochemistry
- Molecular Biology
- Molecular Biophysics
- Structural Biology
Online Courses in Biochemistry
The following are a few examples of courses that are offered for free through MIT's OpenCourseWare program:
- Biochemistry and Pharmacology of Synaptic Transmission covers the chemicals working in the brain and central nervous system. This online class at MIT explores a range of interesting topics, with applications in anatomy, psychology, and medicine. Students in this course study concepts in neuroscience such as the synaptic process and the function and structure of neurotransmitters. Special attention is paid to the more advanced function of monoamine transmitters, neuromodulators, and neurological diseases.
- Separation Processes for Biochemical Products offers an introduction to the various processes used in biochemical manufacturing. This online MIT class covers the use of basic tools and techniques, like centrifugation, extraction, and chromatography. Students pay specific attention to information involving the use of technology to derive biochemical products, such as membrane filtration, cell disruption, and process design. Lectures in this course, like all free MIT classes available online, were pre-recorded during a past semester.
- Science of Emerging Pathogens is a course that teaches about infectious diseases, which represent one of the most serious global health issues, as they can quickly kill millions. Outbreaks such as Toxoplasmosis, Chagas Disease, and the Bubonic Plague have demonstrated the danger of these diseases. In this course, students will learn how to fight these diseases by planning and implementing experiments that examine their molecular origins.
- In Biochemical Engineering, students will learn how the fields of chemical engineering, biochemistry, and microbiology affect one another. Topics explored include mathematical representations of microbial systems, kinetics of growth, mass transfer, and enzyme technology.
- For those with previous experience in biochemistry, the class on Advanced Biochemistry will explore the tools and analytical methods used to examine biological issues. The structure of regulatory, binding, and catalytic proteins will also be studied at length.
General Program Information
MIT is renowned for its OpenCourseWare program, which offers free, non-credit courses to anyone with internet access. The courses do not require registration and are taught by fully-licensed professors and experts, making the program an excellent option for students on a tight budget. Students have access to a variety of course materials, including lecture videos and notes, homework problem sets, and sample exams, but they do not have the opportunity to interact directly with a professor. Online courses at MIT are completely self-directed.
Sample Program Topics
These free online biochemistry courses incorporate aspects of various subjects, like chemical engineering and microbiology. Students learn about the technical and chemical specifics behind principles such as metabolism, fermentation, and protein building. The additional subject matter also covers enzymes, mass transfer, and microbial systems.
For those interested in biochemistry, MIT offers an impressive array of free online courses covering topics like biochemical engineering, emerging pathogens, and synaptic transmissions. These courses are available at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.