Find schools that offer these popular programs
Online Holistic Wellness Courses
The descriptions below outline some commonly offered online holistic wellness courses.
- Nutrition, Bodycare and Herbalism: In this course, which is often part of the holistic nutrition professional certificate program, students learn the basics of holistic health, including nutritional biochemistry, acid and alkaline balance, food combining, fasting, transitional daily diet and sprout and wheatgrass therapy. Use of tools to increase health and well-being, as well as information on how to achieve a more natural and well-balanced life, are taught.
- Holistic Pathology and Protocols: This course teaches students the fundamental principles of natural therapeutics. Students learn both the philosophy and the science behind natural healing techniques. The class also teaches students how to work with clients to build up their vitality and immune system through quality nutrition and a harmonious lifestyle.
- Holistic Health Consulting and Business Skills: Students in this course learn the key concepts for running a successful natural health and nutrition-based business. Topics include how to ensure compliance with local laws and regulations, build business relationships, meet the needs of clients and hone basic business skills.
- Anatomy and Physiology: This course in a holistic health practice diploma program teaches students a holistic approach to the body and its systems. Students learn about the human body from the perspective of restoring normal function and structure.
- Holistic Pathophysiology: Students in this course learn techniques and holistic healing protocols for helping clients who are suffering from both acute and chronic problems. This course focuses on the basic principles of pathophysiology, as well as the biochemical and mechanical problems caused by various diseases.
- Healthcare Terminology: This course teaches students the basics of medical terms. Graduates understand the origins of various medical terms and how to pronounce them. Holistic health practitioners who take this course will be able to better communicate with other healthcare professionals.
- Wellness Coaching & Communication Skills: This course explores the basics of wellness coaching knowledge, assessments and tools in a variety of healthcare scenarios. Students learn how to evaluate their clients' needs and provide them with personal wellness coaching and proper motivation to make changes for a healthier lifestyle.
- Healing Presence: In this course, students will focus on self-discovery and self-awareness. Emphasis is placed on the importance of being mentally present in order to improve the healing process.
- Creating a Holistic Business Practice: Students in this course will focus on what it takes to build up their own independent practice in holistic wellness. Topics include creating a business and market plan, how to complete required paperwork and the importance of self-assessment.
Holistic wellness recognizes the connection among the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual parts of an individual. Holistic wellness practitioners believe that these aspects of an individual need to be healthy and in balance to achieve overall wellness. A diploma program in holistic health practice prepares students to establish their own holistic health practice or work for an existing holistic health practitioner. Graduates are able to recommend wellness protocols using herbal medicine, homeopathy, holistic nutrition and reflexology. Online classes that result in a holistic nutrition certificate program train students to work as nutritional consultants. Students learn how a balanced, natural diet can be used to improve health and well-being. They also learn how to successfully and legally operate a nutritional consulting practice.
Online courses differ from traditional, on-campus programs in that students can complete coursework and assessments asynchronously, which means that students have the flexibility to work when it's convenient for them. Many online courses use web-based software, such as Blackboard, to manage course content and assignments. Students in online courses have the flexibility to learn from a variety of traditional and non-traditional resources, such as textbooks, videotaped lectures, audio recordings, slideshows, Web-based tutorials and online discussions.
Students looking to study holistic wellness can do so through certificate and diploma programs. These online programs offer coursework in areas like anatomy and physiology, bodycare and herbalism and holistic pathology.