Online Special Education Courses
Below is a list of commonly offered online special education courses:
- Special Needs Course: Courses about special needs in general cover the broad spectrum of the various types of disorders or exceptionalities that teachers might encounter, including Down syndrome, autism and behavioral disorders. Courses might cover the history of special education, advancements in educational philosophy regarding special needs and laws and regulations affecting special needs students and teachers.
- Assessment Techniques Course: Students in online courses on special education assessment techniques learn the appropriate uses of standardized tests and grading options for the special needs population. They may also learn to diagnose learning and behavioral problems in students.
- Instruction Techniques Course: Technique classes in special education teaching focus on the specific skills needed to teach this population. Students might learn differential instruction, classroom intervention techniques and curriculum development for special needs.
- Special Education Law Course: This course provides students with the historical and legislative perspective of special education. Coursework explores laws regulating special education and the educator's responsibilities, along with ethics and ongoing research in the field.
- Early Childhood Disabilities Course: Childhood disabilities courses focus on developmental delays and issues that affect children's emotional and educational development. Those enrolled will explore instructional strategies and education plans for students with learning issues, from birth to third grade.
- Literacy for all Learners Course: Students in this class will focus on reading and writing teaching strategies in special education classes. You will learn to diagnose difficulties and develop literacy plans, possibly through case studies.
Classes in special education teaching are generally included as part of an undergraduate or graduate degree program designed to prepare teachers for working with special education students at various age and education levels. Programs in this field of study are widely available online. They typically lead to students earning a bachelor's or master's degree in special education. Many include online coursework, but fieldwork is usually required. Distance learners often upload reports and in-person work samples for instructors to review.
Schools offering online bachelor's programs in special education are typically designed to prepare students for initial certification. Many distance learning programs at the graduate level are for either those who already have bachelor's degrees and wish to move into special education teaching, or special education teachers looking for advanced skills or endorsements.
Those interested in online courses in special education teaching have numerous options available at both undergraduate and graduate degree levels. Areas of study in the classes may include instruction techniques, assessment processes, and special education law.