Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Cinematography and Film Production
- Film and Cinema Studies
Online Digital Photography Courses
This is a sample of digital photography courses commonly offered in online programs.
- Discover Digital Photography: Students are introduced to the fundamentals of digital photography, including various technologies used in the field. Topics of discussion range from equipment and software to the digital darkroom and printing. This digital photography course is open to seasoned professionals and beginners.
- Secrets of Better Photography: This digital photography course explores various photography techniques, which are then tested in different photographic scenarios, such as landscape and portraiture shoots. Students learn methods for improving exposure and lighting.
- Photoshop Elements for the Digital Photographer: This course explores Photoshop software, which can be used to enhance or correct digital photographs. Students work with basic tools to learn image-editing techniques. This course was created for individuals with minimal or no editing experience.
- Travel Photography for the Digital Photographer: Aspiring digital photographers are introduced to a range of issues regarding shooting abroad. This course shares tips on keeping equipment safe in various weather conditions and suggests what camera equipment to pack when you travel. Both professional and personal digital photography topics are addressed, including property release situations and blending into wildlife.
- Photographing Nature with Your Digital Camera: This digital photography course for nature lovers looks at the various features and controls of digital cameras, including shutter speeds and telephoto lenses. Students also explore lighting, composition and macro photography, as well as abstract nature shots.
- Photographing People with Your Digital Camera: This digital photography course begins with the basics of taking pictures of people. Close-ups, positioning and angles are looked at in various situations, such as group shots and portraits. Students explore software techniques to touch up and enhance photos, in addition to setting moods and creating themes.
- Introduction to Digital Photography: This course, intended for novice digital photographers, helps students transition from traditional to digital photography. They explore topics in composition, retouching and color correcting, in addition to learning about common digital photography equipment, including scanners and printers.
- Advanced Digital Photography: Students who have experience with digital photography will learn more about the digital single-lens reflex camera and technical controls of the camera. Advanced digital shooting techniques will be practiced covering different lighting conditions and the use of high-resolution JPEG and RAW capture images for commercial and fine art applications.
- Digital Painting: Digital painting software programs will be explored that allow photographers to create and rethink images. Alongside visual theory topics, the course looks at various digital effects that can be used to enhance or creatively alter digital images.
- Business Photography: Many photographers work in a business setting, or have their own business. This online course explores the business side of photography, including professional standards; ethical, financial, and legal practices of photographers; and common marketing techniques.
Digital photography is a growing art form where photographers utilize special camera features, along with computer software and other equipment, to create digital photos. A number of schools offer online courses through their extension departments. Some of these courses are offered for credit; others are simply for personal enrichment. Students can choose from a variety of topics, like how to use certain software programs to enhance photographs or various types of photography, such as portraits or travel photography.
Some courses are offered on a semester schedule, while others follow their own schedule and typically take less time to complete. Online students pay a fee and view lectures, complete assignments and have access to instructors.
If you are interested in a flexible way to learn about digital photography, online programs or courses in the field may be right for you. Common courses available online can explore subjects as varied as digital painting, Photoshop, travel photography, business practices, and portrait photography.