Online Digital Filmmaking and Digital Film Production Courses
Below are some of the online courses offered by schools that teach digital filmmaking and digital film production.
- Digital Literacy: Students learn the fundamentals of digital video and audio recording. This course teaches the practical aspects of digital filmmaking.
- Digital Film Lighting: Students are exposed to the basics of lighting mounting, control, and safety. The course also covers the very important subject of budgeting for lighting expenses.
- Online Feature Screenwriting Course: Before producing a digital film, one must have a script. This online course provides the student with instruction in structuring dialogue, character development and editing for scripts.
- Computer Animation: Students study the increasing part that computer animated material is playing in film production and may learn hands-on techniques, such as how to create digital effects.
- The Art of Film: Students learn the basics of film techniques and the filmmaking process. Basic elements in digital and non-digital filmmaking like editing, cinematography, and sound recording are covered.
- Visual Storytelling: Contemporary media with regard to storytelling will be covered in this online course. Students learn how to write stories individually in addition to writing as part of a team.
- Cinema Directing: In this course, students experience working with actors, how to edit sound, and other techniques for film editing. Written exercises are included, as well as the composition of a short digital production.
Online college courses in digital filmmaking may be offered individually or as part of a certificate program, an associate's, bachelor's or master's degree. Digital filmmaking requires access to a good consumer-grade digital video camera, a tripod and a 3-point lighting rig. Students also need a computer with robust digital film, editing, sound and scripting software; they should check with the school to see if it gives access to or requires the use of any particular equipment or software. The availability of high-quality consumer digital video equipment supports distance learning studies, but degree programs in this field are also likely to include some campus-based sessions to work on projects and interact with peers or faculty.
Many colleges and universities offer online courses in digital filmmaking and film production. Online courses are also available from specialty schools. Undergraduate and graduate studies are available, in addition to certificate programs.